A&H

Everton V Newcastle

Brilliant match very nearly spoiled by this utterly bizarre VAR rerefereeing.

I think red. But yellow is justifiable. Like others this is just not clear and obvious in the context of VAR this season.

The Referee Store
Amazed that some people actually think this is SFP.

Its a trip, its on his foot, not his knees, shins or higher than that.

Its cynical yes but there is nothing in the laws to suggest a cynical foul is a red card.

Its a reckless challenge which the referee has a clear view of from 7/8 yards away and he gives a yellow card.

Its becoming more frequent that the game is now being refereed by a man watching on tv rather than the man on the pitch.

Amazed that some people actually think this is SFP.

Its a trip, its on his foot, not his knees, shins or higher than that.

Its cynical yes but there is nothing in the laws to suggest a cynical foul is a red card.

Its a reckless challenge which the referee has a clear view of from 7/8 yards away and he gives a yellow card.

Its becoming more frequent that the game is now being refereed by a man watching on tv rather than the man on the pitch.
(
(1:35)
Watch Allan sprinting into it - excessive force, off the ground, out of control = :redcard:

What is getting people though is Pawson was literally a few yards away and produced a yellow yet still got sent to the screen, what could he possibly of missed? Imo this does seem to be another example of PL refs having a higher threshold of what is a red card and the introduction of VAR has exposed that.
His positioning is perfect for it. The fact that VAR has determined that he made a clear and obvious mistake from that position is a real criticism to Pawson. Referees (especially at the top level) should not be making clear and obvious errors from that position and yet here we are

Height of tackle. Tick. Off the ground and out of control. Tick. Absolutely no attempt to play the ball. Tick.

It's red for me, but I don't think there is any criticism for not seeing it real time as it happened so quickly.

If you watch the most recent episode of the MLS VAR review, there is a review in this that the referee turns down and the they admit it should never have been sent for review as was not clear and obvious. Same should apply here for me
We’ll, yeah, that’s because MLS does VAR much better than PL—the R recognized it was the unusual case where he should say the VAR is wrong. The PL should be embarrassed by how much worse at VAR they are than MLS.

Reactions: one
The PL should be embarrassed by how much worse at VAR they are than the rest of the world.
There, fixed.

On some VAR decisions, the first thought to me is that PL referees don't want VAR and deliberately sabotage it to get rid of.

There, fixed.

On some VAR decisions, the first thought to me is that PL referees don't want VAR and deliberately sabotage it to get rid of.
Absolutely no chance of them wanting rid. VAR has just extended their (usually quite short careers) indefinitely
Another reason why VAR is here to stay (that has nowt to do with the 'good of the game')

Back