A&H

Ex Players fast-tracked to be elite referees

The Referee Store
I think it is lazy journalism. It talks about 12 players having expressed interest, but then implies he has already recruited them. And let's make no mistake here, whilst there may be the odd exception the majority will be absolutely hopeless in their first games as a L7. Might be able to find a way to progress the ones that show competence (and don't get bored) faster than normal, but will still take years for them to be good enough to referee top level games.

Much of the problem will be that, in my experience, the referees I've observed / assessed / coached that have played at any kind of level have been all over the place when they have first started refereeing. That's because they referee the game as they would like it to be done as a player, not how the laws require them to.

I don’t know about ex-pros but my region targets players who played at the top u17 level. All of them have to do mini football “game supervision” (ref lite) and any that are switched on, bright and willing get fast tracked into the academy set up.

It means that 4-5 years in, when they give up footy and are in university we have some really clever and able young referees in their early twenties. Pain for me as I havd to compete with them!

Back