A&H

Excercise

Anthony

Level 5 Referee
What pre match stretching and exercise do you do before the match and do you do any warm downs post match?

As I have got older I have increased the length and variation of exercises I do pre match. It takes about 10 minutes and then I do various sprints, sideways and backward runs on the pitch.

I am rubbish after the match but will try and take the dog for a walk when I get home in the hope it helps with the muscles.

The Referee Store
Prematch - a lap of the pitch, some stretches, then it's a variety of side steps, backwards running. Sprints etc to be edge of penalty area. Some more stretches. Takes about 20 minutes.

After the game. Get back to changing room, little stretch (if I remember). Home cold bath, job done.

Yes could improve the post match stretches. :)

Pre match as much stretching as I can pre game, sprints and side steps etc as well. Post game it's a hot bath if I can or just a hot shower, or depending which club you're at a crappy low pressure cold one.

I bet the secretary still comes in and asks how they are. Will be still the same in ten years time no doubt lol.

He does. And always looks shocked when you say they are pathetic and freezing. Like its the first time anyone has told him that is the case. :)

I'm ridiculously prone to calf cramps, so I try to do quite a bit. Jog across the field a few times to get warm, do a number of static and dynamic stretches, then go across the pitch some more doing backwards, sideways or short sprints. Don't do as much as I should warming down, stretch a bit later in the evening though.

Post match I use a trigger point foam roller when I get home, especially if I have another game the next day. Works wonders. Superb bit of kit.

Post match I use a trigger point foam roller when I get home, especially if I have another game the next day. Works wonders. Superb bit of kit.
I had trouble with my IT Band recently and this was recommended. Quite effective those rollers.

Day after a nice warm down in the gym should sort the calf problem, failing that sit in the furthest seat from the bar and enjoy a Sunday session.

The walk to the bar for 10 pints followed by 15 seconds calf stretch per pint should solve your problem.

Reactions: SM
Back