A&H

Fenerbahce Vs Besiktas - Women

The Referee Store
Awful officiating. Can only assume that she wasn't looking at the time, and even then, someone should be telling her

Also really do not like the caution procedure or there lack of. Comes across as very arrogant

Last edited by a moderator:
A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when:
  • the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
  • holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
  • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hand(s).

Watching my son play yesterday in goal for the school (U13s) and he brought the ball back into his area and held his hands around it waiting for the forward to approach... When the player approached he grabbed it and as he did the player kicked it out of his hands and the teacher who was refereeing allowed the goal. This feels about the same level of incompetency. :facepalm:

I don’t understand how a team of officials at that level make such a basic error.

Awful officiating. Can inly assume that she wasn't looking at the time, and even then, someone should be telling her

Also really do not like the caution procedure or there lack of. Comes across as very arrogant
The AR should definitely be saving the R who presumably didn’t see what happened.

We don’t know what was said to earn the caution. Depending on what was said, I have no issue with the procedure ar all.

This is as bad as it comes. At best all 4 officials weren't looking, at worst they saw it and didn't understand the laws. I also don't think that flashing a caution at someone who seems to be fairly calm after you've just dropped the clanger of the decade is especially sensible, it is just adding insult to injury.

This is as bad as it comes. At best all 4 officials weren't looking, at worst they saw it and didn't understand the laws. I also don't think that flashing a caution at someone who seems to be fairly calm after you've just dropped the clanger of the decade is especially sensible, it is just adding insult to injury.
We’ll, the R presumably doesn’t know she’s dropped the ball so badly, and we don’t know what was said

We’ll, the R presumably doesn’t know she’s dropped the ball so badly, and we don’t know what was said
Every referee knows pretty much instantly when they have dropped a clanger, we've all had that sinking feeling when the penny has dropped. Cautioning your way out of it is absolutely not the right answer.

This is a mess. If it is just the referee that hasn't seen what has happened then the other officials should be straight onto her to get her out of the mess. Looks like there are no comms, but they will have buzzers so they should be hammering the button to the extent that the referee cannot possibly miss the fact that something is very wrong. Even if no buzzers they should be coming onto the pitch for a mistake of this magnitude and stopping play from being restarted.

If all of the other officials have missed it then it is a collective failing of an epic proportion.

Epic fail is a good way of describing it. But R’s don’t always know they’ve bottled it immediately. If she had, there was an easy fix--jog over to the AR, discuss, and give the foul. (“So, AR did you see anything? No, huh. Nod and pout over at the GK. Great, thanks.”)

Agree.

Complete and utter clanger and makes it worse with the caution. A caution I still don't like how it was shown.

Below post also shows just how little some people know basic laws

1000002883.jpg

That quoted post just about sums up why we will never get any decision ‘right’ in the eyes of half the people watching…

To paraphrase Gene Wilder as The Waco Kid …

“You’ve got to remember that these are just simple fans. These are people of the land. The common clay of the terraces. You know… morons.”

Bit sexist there @socal lurker - bet you wouldn't have said that if it was a male referee...;)😄
Gotta love spell correct sometimes . . .

While itks easy to mock fans for not knowing what GK possession is, I think it was about 10 years ago that pretty much this exact play was permitted and was confirmed as a good call. (I can’t recall—maybe it was UEFA who supported the call as correct?) A year or two later it was clarified that even if holding the ball in an open play, it was off limits.

Controversial question? Should this be sufficient justification for a team to request a replay?

Controversial question? Should this be sufficient justification for a team to request a replay?
Don't think so, because it is a refereeing error rather than being incorrect in law. That's assuming they just didn't see it, if they saw it and didn't understand the law then that would swing the pendulum more towards being incorrect in law.

As you say, "they didn't see it" is just an assumption though isn't it? I am thinking it's the latter, also an assumption.

If it's my team and I lost, I'd certainly try my luck.

Back