A&H

Fiorentina vs Spurs

Penalty or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DanCohen17

Simply The Best
1st leg was tonight, don't know if anyone saw the game.

Ben Davies won a penalty for Spurs that made it 1-0 and I was wondering what anyone else's thoughts on it were.

For me, whilst it appeared clumsy, I don't actually think a foul occurred.

If anyone has a clip, feel free to post!

The Referee Store
It was an odd one. It did look clumsy, Davies stood on the out stretched foot so for me no offence, get on with the game.

For me the defender slid in, missed the ball (not that this is the deciding factor, of course) and initiated the contact with the forward's foot causing him to stumble and fall. IMHO, careless trip, penalty and definitely no hint of simulation.

Definitely not a penalty.
Spurs are going really well this season and I was rooting for them in this tricky tie which might still prove a banana skin for them yet, but no way was that a penalty. Davies stood on the poor bloke's foot and fell over.

Far worse was that idiot Dele Alli's blatant red card stupidity. Very lucky. Hope the pratt doesn't try anything like that in his country's shirt this summer. That's all we need..... :(

Deli ally was a very lucky boy. Cannot understand how he didn't get walked if the ref saw it

Definitely not a penalty.
Spurs are going really well this season and I was rooting for them in this tricky tie which might still prove a banana skin for them yet, but no way was that a penalty. Davies stood on the poor bloke's foot and fell over.
Yes, he stood on the player's foot but the question is, why was the foot there? If the player is just maintaining his position on the field and an opponent stands on his foot then that is not a foul - but if a player makes a challenge with a lack of attention and if moreover, he acts without precaution (as this player did, IMHO) and this is what caused the opponent to trip and fall then that for me, is a foul (as it meets the definition of a careless challenge as defined on page 119 of the LotG).

As I see it, it was only because the challenge was so badly timed that the defender's foot ends up directly underneath the opponent rather than in front of him (where it would have had to be, if he was to have any chance of getting close to the ball). And as far as I am aware it is the nature of the challenge, not the exact point at which the opponent's foot is contacted, that determines whether an offence has occurred.

Last edited:
Yes, he stood on the player's foot but the question is, why was the foot there? If the player is just maintaining his position on the field and an opponent stands on his foot then that is not a foul - but if a player makes a challenge with a lack of attention and if moreover, he acts without precaution (as this player did, IMHO) and this is what caused the opponent to trip and fall then that for me, is a foul (as it meets the definition of a careless challenge as defined on page 119 of the LotG).

As I see it, it was only because the challenge was so badly timed that the defender's foot ends up directly underneath the opponent rather than in front of him (where it would have had to be, if he was to have any chance of getting close to the ball). And as far as I am aware it is the nature of the challenge, not the exact point at which the opponent's foot is contacted, that determines whether an offence has occurred.
The position of the defenders foot is irrelevant in this case. The fact remains that a foul wasn't comitted. Davies stood on the guy's foot and then flung himself to the ground.

The position of the defenders foot is irrelevant in this case. The fact remains that a foul wasn't comitted. Davies stood on the guy's foot and then flung himself to the ground.
See, I don't agree with the second half of your statement. I don't believe Davies flung himself to the ground, in an act of simulation.

I happened too quickly to be a deliberate act of simulation for my money.

See, I don't agree with the second half of your statement. I don't believe Davies flung himself to the ground, in an act of simulation.

I happened too quickly to be a deliberate act of simulation for my money.

Sure, it happened too quickly for the ref to see it as an act of simulation, I agree with that. But we have the benefit of endless slo-mo. Watch it enough times and you'll see that Davies is far more preoccupied with falling over than staying on his feet the second he feels that challenge coming. Not the worst one you'll see, but a dive none the less. :cool:

I agree, he just lost his balance and over stretched for the ball.

Maybe because he didn't want to plant all his weight onto his opponents foot and he still wanted to get the shot off.

Maybe because he didn't want to plant all his weight onto his opponents foot and he still wanted to get the shot off.

That's another possibility I suppose.
I'm just a bit cynical whenever I see a player fall to the ground who hasn't been tripped or kicked (because that's exactly what happened). Spurs got lucky twice that night..... :cool:

Back