A&H

First 5 minutes of each half (throw-ins)

howard_webb

right guys have any of uses any tips for the first few throw-ins to get the arm signals right, I'm mentoring a young ref and I've just told him to Concentrate And to take his time,

The Referee Store
Tell him to talk to himself :p
Identify a landmark, and mutter to himself "blue throw, to carpark, red throw, to hill" Kind of how I approach AR as well....mutter about colour and which arm. Which arm doesn't apply in the middle as it's reversed if he turns, but think along those lines may help.

We've all been there.
Easiest way is to say out loud "Blue throw", you can then allow your arm to follow!
Obviously only to be used sparingly or assessors might have something to say!

I have been known to occasionally **** this up after half time.

I use a slightly different method though, for the first 10 or 15 minutes after the restart I mutter to myself 'attacking throw' or 'defensive throw' and take my time to allow arm to follow.

Works for me.

I use a slightly different method though, for the first 10 or 15 minutes after the restart I mutter to myself 'attacking throw' or 'defensive throw' and take my time to allow arm to follow.

Some of my lower division games I have to really look at which way a team is kicking as there is no clue in attack/defence. The GK socks is the point of reference!!!!!

I have been known to occasionally **** this up after half time.

Works for me.

Like the ref the OP is mentoring, I struggled with this during my first game (Glad to hear I'm not the only one, too!).

It was frustrating (I definitely got it wrong once) and spent the next 10-15 mins winding myself up about it in my head (which led to slower signalling, think I got it right most of the time but I was probably too reliant upon my assistants, one of whom didn't really have a clue and kept his flag down on 3-4 ocassions). While I was trying to concentrate and make sure I was getting it right it just wasn't clicking in my head, so while I'm sure the OP's advice was appreciated, it's easier said than done.

I think your solution is quite a good one though, certainly while I'm trying to get up to speed with it. Understand it isn't the norm and an assessor may have a heart attack but I'm about a year and a half away from that anyway so sure it'll help me get used to it.

For me, I find it easiest if I point towards the teams goalkeeper, for whichever team kicked it out.

So if it was blue against red, and blue kicked it out of play, I point towards blue goalkeeper.

Also in pre-match and half time I mentally go through what directions I need to point for when a team kicks it out.

Back