A&H

First Assessment

Robin

Level 7 Referee
I have my first assessment on Friday night in a local mens league game.

I'm a bit nervous but don't know why :(, I think its cos I don't know what to expect really so just a bit worried as to what to expect.

Is there anything I have to do before I get to the ground?
Do I tell the teams I am being assessed so they know?
Do I just referee like I normally would or do I referee for the assessor?

Stupid questions I know but I'm not really sure to be honest.

I'm glad I am being assessed cos then I can see where I am getting too with regards to my own experience cos I have been doing loads of games since September and would really like to see what I am doing that is good and bad etc.

I also hope I have a nice assessor cos I heard they are quite harsh on you and don't want that to put me off refereeing if he says I am not a good referee etc. Constructive criticism would be nice :).

Any tips and advice would be great. Thanks

The Referee Store
[QUOTE="Robin, post: 20702, member: 758"

[/QUOTE]

Remember your boots!
Tell them nothing or you will regret it when they constantly barrage you with taunts of "he's not happy about that ref, he's writing!"
Yes, go out, enjoy yourself, do your normal thing. Big smile.

A piece of advice from Martin Atkinson:
"Find out some information about the assessor. Ask friends/collegues/other refs if they've had him/her before and find out what they like, don't like to see. For example some assesors are really picky about the position of the throw in so when you find that out, pick up on it right at the start and then the assessor will look for other things to back up their (good) opinions about you."

This is what he does before a champions league game when he finds out the name of the assessor :)

I have my first assessment on Friday night in a local mens league game.

I'm a bit nervous but don't know why :(, I think its cos I don't know what to expect really so just a bit worried as to what to expect.

Stupid questions I know but I'm not really sure to be honest.

I'm glad I am being assessed cos then I can see where I am getting too with regards to my own experience cos I have been doing loads of games since September and would really like to see what I am doing that is good and bad etc.

I also hope I have a nice assessor cos I heard they are quite harsh on you and don't want that to put me off refereeing if he says I am not a good referee etc. Constructive criticism would be nice :).

Robin, I am an assessor. Don't be nervous, we are there to help you in your promotion and getting you to the next step, all a matter of development. There is nothing you have to do before you get to the ground, the assessor should contact you saying he will be there etc..., and will normally give a time of when they will arrive; try and be there before that to greet them. There is no need to tell the teams you are being assessed, but you can if you wish. (Speaking with my refereeing cap on, I didn't when I was 7-6, players aren't use to assessors being there, and will make an assumption - someone is there to watch because you're struggling or someone is there to watch for your first promotion - either way they will use it to their advantage - but when it got to 6-5 and now 5-4, I don't go out my way to tell them - but it actually can help. E.g. tape - when checking the tape, I always say that I've got an assessor today lads, so tape off (even if I don't, I shift the blame) and even for cautions, sometimes players will ask if there is an assessor watching (because they think it is a soft caution!) and I just say yes again - shifting the blame. This is risky for 7-6, because as I said when at 6-5 or above, you are on games where there usually our assessors). Referee as you normally referee, this is your first assessment so it is important - assessments mould your refereeing gradually, as does experience and you will get hints, tips and advice on a number of areas, of which you can incorporate into your games as time goes on. However, as assessors we use a handbook (it is on the FA website, just google FA Assessors Handbook) and we use something called competencies. If you are a level 7-6 referee, you will be expected to do all competencies of a level 7 referee and starting to move into the level 6 competencies. But don't miss out on the easy points, e.g. checking the field of play (including nets) etc...

Have a good game, let us know how it goes! Oh, and generally we are not harsh - however as with anything in life, there will be exceptions!

Great feedback, Drahc, imho.

On the subject of tape / kit inspection, i had a match a couple of weeks back where one guy had black tights on under all green kit.

despite the fact that you could only see about three inches of his tights i decided to pick up on it (as a first in o/a footy)

spoke with captain/player, captain told him that he would have to take tights off and player trotted off without too much complaint

all good

player then re-emerged five minutes later minus tights and said, 'am i alright with these ref?', indicting what i assumed to be white ankle protectors over his green socks

i told him that they should also be green but also said that i'd let it go - i just didn't have the heart to send him back a second time....tho, had there been an assessor around.............

Great advice DRAHC...

Unfortunately my assessor was not present last night due to illness in his family.

The thing is this is my 5th or 6th game in a row that has gone really well and I wish I had been assessed but I know when I get assessed which will be in the next few weeks things wont go as well, it will be Murphys law lol...however I want to be assessed so I can gain more experience and tips

Back