A&H

Junior/Youth First game done, lesson learned.

Andy Brown

After passing my exam I had my first of my six games today. It was an U!4 league game with club linos, apart from realising I need to improve my fitness I learnt a valuable lesson about controlling the substitution process.

About 20 minutes into the first half a home team defender was hurt in a challenge, not serious, so I allowed play to go on, player said he was ok. The ball then went out of play.

Home teams manager came on to treat him, this happened behind me and my attention was drawn to it, as the manager walked the player off, i thought he said he had subbed, and said OK and I watched the player go off and blew for play to restart, the away team take the throw and during that phase of play the away team score (making it 2-1 to the home team), while the home manager is berating me for starting play. He had asked to sub.

Home team eventually comfortably and the home team manager apologises for his outburst - despite him saying in his half time talk that they only conceded because of the referee.

Had lots of moans from the away team in the second half when not getting Free Kicks, but I know this par for the course from a team who are struggling.

In this league we don't get to see the marks awarded to referees, but I would guess my scores from both managers would be in the region of 50-60 out of 100, as anything less than 50 they have to write a report and I don't think I was that bad..:)

So on reflection lessons learnt are:

• The manager should have waited for permission to come on and treat the player, even though the ball had gone out of play.
  • Even though I had made the error in agreeing to the substitution, that didn't take place I assuming I was right to allow the goal to stand.
  • Also need to refresh my knowledge on challenges where the feet are high.

I found myself saying two or three times to watch your feet - Should that be a signal to me that the challenge or attempt to win the ball is careless or reckless? Although in hindsight no one was hurt or caught as a result of a high foot.

The Referee Store
Hi Andy, Congratulations on passing the Referee's Course.

No matter how old you get you will always learn something new and this will happen in every game. Always work on the bad points of your game whilst attempting to maintain the good points of your game and enjoy your refereeing

Firstly, great to see you looking to learn from your very first game - I was too bloody nervous at my first to even remember what teams were playing, let alone recalling specific events.

To be fair though, I don't think you did anything wrong with the substitution, if the sub isn't ready to come on straight away, then you are perfectly entitled to re-start the game and allow him on at next out. You will find at lower levels and age groups with rolling subs that coaches and players tend to be a bit slap-dash with the whole substitution process, but I find if you control it as best as possible, then most will stick to the proper procedure.

High feet can be an issue with younger players, although at u14 they should know. Again, it is kind of down to you to judge just how dangerous each challenge actually is.

I find that as soon as a player goes down injured and play is stopped the managers always want to come in to assess/treat the player and frequently do this without your permission, I feel though that managers do not know the rules with regards to entering the field of play. I find myself using common sense a kit of the time and say to the manager quietly as he's walking off that if he enters the field again without your signal/permission you will take action. 99times out of a 100 the manager does not realise he's made a mistake and will and will apologise. I find this more so in the case of the womens league I ref in.

Just remember my friend that your in charge of the game, your never be me popular and someone will always be unhappy but take heart you will get more confident and I'm sure your have many good games ahead of you.

Congratulations

Moonhead

Also watch for changes made at half time without your knowledge, remember if this is done the player who has been subbed is worthy of a caution so is the new player who has taken he's place as both have entered/left the FOP without permission

I agree with Howard, if the sub is not ready to come on, tough, game carries on. Wait for the call next time the ball goes dead. Good play by you.​
with the high feet, set your stall out early and that problem will resolve itself.​
finally, you mention a team being unhappy about not getting free kicks? Lol welcome to life as a referee! You manage to work out how to make both teams happy and referee a fair and honest game, you let me know! Don't worry, you will toughen to that. Players and team officials rarely know the laws of the game, even when they do, they still give the ref grief!​
Sounds like a good first game mate. Live and learn.o​

hi andy, welcome to the site. from what you say, it doesn't sound like your first game was bad at all, so well done on that front :)

substitutions- I assume this is roll on roll off in your league from what you describe? even so, I would always make sure that when I speak to the managers pre-game I say "make sure you sub when the ball is out of play, and ONLY with my permission". then during the game, if someone asks for a sub make your way to the sideline and check the new player on. this would help your fitness AND avoid situations like this in the future ;)

high feet- "high feet" isnt a free kick. "dangerous play" is a free kick. if a foot is high and not dangerous, play on (e.g. both players kicking above waist high for a ball that has bounced). however, be careful and obviously apply the law to each situation as it comes up. its difficult to say exactly what constitutes dangerous play, but if you find yourself wincing from a high foot vs header situation then that is dangerous!

and with injuries, by law you stop the game when a potentially serious injury has occurred. this is a loose definition. my gut instinct is that at junior football in particular (but even in open age) if the ball is not immediately going through to a threatening situation (e.g. goal scoring opportunity, promising attack, etc) then dont be afraid to stop the game and have the injury treated. you would then restart the play with a drop ball, maybe asking a team to play it back to the opposition's keeper or having a good olf fashioned contested drop ball. no sense in risking a kid being potentially injured when the other team is likely to play on at this age anyway and you could end up waiting MINUTES for the ball to go out on its own.

Back