A&H

First game - kit questions

LancsBlue

Hi everyone,

Recently finished my course and I've got my first game (as an AR in a friendly) in just over a week

I've just got a couple of questions hoping somebody could help me with:

1) I'm buying a kit online and they allow you to get the 'FA Referee' badge printed on the pocket however I thought I seen somewhere here once that you can't wear that on your shirt until after you've done your first 5 games and the FA send you that badge when you've done your 5 games for you then to attach to your shirt - is this correct?

2) They also print county FA badges on request as well - would it be worth getting the county badge instead of the FA referee badge, as I've heard you need to wear the county badge for county cup games although could be wrong?

Thank you in advance!

The Referee Store
I got the county FA badge on, as pretty much all your appointments will be through them. The only time I needed to wear otherwise was an appointment on a different CFA final, which I was given a kit for anyway. I wear my CFA kit when doing other counties too, no one has queried it so far!

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again...

At various times, I’ve worn a County Badge, an FAMOA badge and no badge.

Players, coaches and spectators have commented - both in the positive and the negative- on my decisions and performance, no one has ever commented on what badge I’m wearing.

When starting out, you’ll be with me, down amongst the weeds of grass roots football - at this level you have far more important things to worry about than what badge you are wearing. As you scale the pyramid, such things will become important, but when starting out, don’t worry about it.

Enjoy your new career in the middle!

Players, coaches and spectators have commented - both in the positive and the negative- on my decisions and performance, no one has ever commented on what badge I’m wearing.

When starting out, you’ll be with me, down amongst the weeds of grass roots football - at this level you have far more important things to worry about than what badge you are wearing. As you scale the pyramid, such things will become important, but when starting out, don’t worry about it.

Correct players and spectators couldn't give a toss whats on your shirt and this isnt a fashion show. However District and County appointment officers DO care and will expect the County badge to be on your shirt for such appointments.

At various times, I’ve worn a County Badge, an FAMOA badge and no badge
When starting out, you’ll be with me, down amongst the weeds of grass roots football - at this level you have far more important things to worry about than what badge you are wearing.
So what you are saying is, it's good that he is thinking about his appearance in his new career. But he shouldn't make it his highest priority ;)[/QUOTE]

It was more a worry of 'you shouldn't be wearing a badge yet you're still a trainee' as I thought you may have to wait until you were actually qualified before you put a badge on!

But from all your advice I think I'll just get the county badge purely so that I'll already be sorted in case I'm lucky enough to get assigned a county cup game in my first season.

Thank you for all your help!

With our course, we got a free kit. It had my County badge on it. I’m between counties so I’ve got two black kits; one with county, one with FA. Not sure if it’s still the same, but when I completed my 5 games, they sent me a little letter with an FA badge enclosed which suggests the FA badge is for after you qualify. Not 100% sure though!

In reality, your county badge is for county matches. FAMOA for all other at grassroots level.

I dont know if things have changed but in the past it was county badge for all games and FAMOA level 4 and up. As a level 7 you are a Junior referee, 6 County referee and 5 senior county, there is a clue in the name. Then once you hit 4 and above you move out of the counties jurisdiction and into the FA. I know this is not generally adhered to or may well have changed over time. But thats how it used to be, but i stand to be corrected.

I dont know if things have changed but in the past it was county badge for all games and FAMOA level 4 and up. As a level 7 you are a Junior referee, 6 County referee and 5 senior county, there is a clue in the name. Then once you hit 4 and above you move out of the counties jurisdiction and into the FA. I know this is not generally adhered to or may well have changed over time. But thats how it used to be, but i stand to be corrected.
I don’t think that’s how it is now, although it makes a lot of sense tbh. Only thing is being between counties

Depends entirely on competition rules and what they say about it.

Both my Sunday and Saturday mens leagues say that we have to wear a county FA badge.

All county and FA appointments you have to wear a county FA badge.

The women's league I do don't mention it.

Depends entirely on competition rules and what they say about it.

Both my Sunday and Saturday mens leagues say that we have to wear a county FA badge.

All county and FA appointments you have to wear a county FA badge.

The women's league I do don't mention it.

That’s good that your men’s leagues tell you what they expect.

I (mainly) work on two men’s OA league and two youth leagues (one of which is the youth league for one of the OA leagues I do.) Badges have never been mentioned.

I am quite a compliant type of guy, and will typically do what I’m told, but if no one tells me what badge to use then I’ll fight my corner if and when someone tells me I’m wearing the wrong one.

My point is, if there are rules and regulations around badge use, then make them clear and easy to find. On my course and subsequent three year career, they’ve never been mentioned (other than on this forum)

That makes sense to me, the fact that you are awarded a FAMOA badge direct from the FA after 5 games makes me think that's no longer the case.
I personally wear FAMOA and stick my county badge over the top for county cup games. Some wear county all the time, some wear both.

Back