A&H

First game today

davels

Level 7 Referee
I had my first game today, I was allocated an U13 girls match, after watching my sons U13 match first thing. Little did I know that the comp rules for girls mean 9v9 instead of 11v11 as it is in the boys game. It threw me at KO as I was counting the players, but played it cool and assumed the 2 managers knew that rules better than me! So that bit was OK.

An assessor from my local FA came to watch and gave me some really good feedback at both HT & FT. Said I controlled it well, good voice, self adjusted positioning when needed etc - made an error in the first half with a pass to the keeper that the keeper let run, I looked at my AR and he shrugged his shoulders so I gave a goal kick instead of a corner. Observer said a couple of the parents commented they thought it was a corner but nobody complained. Other than that, the only other constructive feedback is one of my corner arm signals was pointing in the opposite direction from the corner flag... I realised I was doing it and avoided changing as it'd look silly.

I enjoyed it a lot, I didn't tell anyone there it was my first game and both managers & parents seemed happy. Infact, the home manager I had my on my coaching L1 course a few years back. Small footballing world.

It was a little nerve-racking knowing I was being watched for my first game but it went well & and I'm a happy ref today :)

The Referee Store
You may have got the corner decision wrong because you didn't know which way it should have gone, but you handled it correctly - if you don't know go with the decision that potentially causes least harm. In this instance goal kick.

:)

Well done mate. Onwards and upwards

And what I really wanted to say was thanks to all the hints, tips & confidence builders this site has given me over the last month as I prepared for this day. It really helped.

Well done David. Funny how you can do the course, read the LOTG book over and over, then read these forums for tips and in the end, you learn more in that first one hour than all the other stuff combined!

Back