A&H

First game with the headset

As a first timer, the only real downside was the fit.
The ref was a little over enthusiastic with some basic calls. On the line we just said little. Probably 6 words in jest the whole game.
Very good for offside e.g. "offside position" -> "active" -> "offside" and flag.

The Referee Store
Obviously as a lowly level 7 I've never had the opportunity to do a game using comes before.

And I know that it's unlikely that I'll ever get to use them until I reach the dizzy height of the conference. But, I do think they would be excellent to use when in a team of 3 or 4 for "special" occasions like finals etc.

My last minute 4th official appointment would have been considerably easier if I'd been able to actually speak to the ref without having to use a combination of shouting and a flag to get his attention.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if you thought the comms kit had any downsides etc.

I don't think it would help for a one off game, and might even be a hindrance. They take some getting used to, and when they were rolled out to the Conference at the end of last season the officials all had to go to a hotel near Heathrow for training on them.

I've used them twice and whilst they can no doubt be beneficial it can also be very distracting. You sometimes find yourself thinking more about whether you should be talking than what you should be looking at or where you should be stood. Although didn't help on one of these games that the referee was talking to the teams in Norwegian, to the other assistant in German, and to me in English - I couldn't tell if I had misheard something or whether it was in another language.

Hmm well my experience was a one off with two languages and I found it very easy to adapt with 10 minutes of preparation. I have used mics and in-ears before which helped. As an assistant you don't have to say much, if anything. It probably also helps to be in a country where people happily (contentedly) work in silence, where small talk is an exotic commodity. Very little thinking about filling a silence here in Finland!

Back