A&H

First Game

FenRef

Level 7 Referee
Open to reading and opinions:
First game was one of them ones, bottom league Cambridgeshire. Game started fine and I got off to a good start, fair play across the pitch. Then the goals start flying in, a few nibbles here and there, but nothing I would call dangerous or excessive.
Second half is the same story, but early on was quite a nasty challenge, now in my head and the moment I thought this is a yellow and gave it, but soon realised it should of been a red for excessive force. My decision to give a yellow came from the tackled player being fine and his team being up 6-0. I never admitted I made the mistake, but I knew after the game my decision should of been red.

As firsts games go though (and in those leagues) there was no fighting to arguing and the game got seen out without another serious foul.

Just looking for advice and pointers when it comes to man management at a lower league (where it is more aggressive)?

The Referee Store
First game was one of them ones, bottom league Cambridgeshire. Game started fine and I got off to a good start, fair play across the pitch. Then the goals start flying in, a few nibbles here and there, but nothing I would call dangerous or excessive.
Second half is the same story, but early on was quite a nasty challenge, now in my head and the moment I thought this is a yellow and gave it, but soon realised it should of been a red for excessive force. My decision to give a yellow came from the tackled player being fine and his team being up 6-0. I never admitted I made the mistake, but I knew after the game my decision should of been red.

As firsts games go though (and in those leagues) there was no fighting to arguing and the game got seen out without another serious foul.

Just looking for advice and pointers when it comes to man management at a lower league (where it is more aggressive)?
Don't worry about it. As first games go, you've excelled. Very normal to be hesitant with sanctions when you first start out

hindsight is 20/20. i wouldn't worry about it. the one thing i have learnt when getting a card out is to take your time with the decision. for fouls where i kind of cringe in my head, i always try to go through the 3 things; careless? reckless? excessive force? as like a quick memo to decide the colour of the card.
only advice for man management is to nip it in the bud when it starts, if players start flying into tackles call it out and break the game up a bit.

im not that experienced though, but it helps for me.

Did the players expect a red? Were they screaming and shouting when you gave the yellow or did they accept it?

If no one complained then I wouldn’t worry too much. It seems like the rest of the match was ok for you so you might have made the right decision. If you were to give an unexpected red it might help you lose your match control quickly.

sounds like you did well

above sums it up, barring killer slayings, if a dubious tackle comes in, which you are thinking, orange, yet all around are thinking yellow, yellow it is

you can drive home knowing it was possibly a red, but you have managed the game in front of you,

Well done. Be prepared. Get ready for the unexpected. Ball dribbling along the line, off the bar, a dog, a fan invasion, whatever, something will come along. Now you have a taste for it, keep learning the laws, get close to problem players, and don't watch the ball, keep watching the players, keep them in view, whatever you are dealing with... and man management... everyone has their own style... little comments are always good, "i've seen it", "carry on", "watch the arms", "it's a small foul but it's cost him the ball" etc etc etc.

And if you want to learn from better refs in higher leagues, run the line.

Obviously I didn't see the challenge but if the guy was fine and they're 6-0 up and nobody wants a red then giving a yellow might be the best decision - even if it's not technically the correct decision.

Obviously I didn't see the challenge but if the guy was fine and they're 6-0 up and nobody wants a red then giving a yellow might be the best decision - even if it's not technically the correct decision.
IMO, that depends on the red. If no one was protesting, it is likely that the challenge was orange and the yellow was find. A mantra that I heard some years back is one I find useful in thinking of cards (yellow or red):

Does the player need to get the card?
Does this game need there to be a card?
Does The Game need there to be a card?

If the answer to any of the three is "yes," then give the card.

Hi guys,

I appreciate the support and advice massively. Especially about running the line to observe and support other referees. I believe this would be a good insight to how others go about their game. I had a game the day after as well refereeing a Women's game (must say a lot less fouls than lower leagues of mens leagues haha!), but I am definitely enjoying it. Only 18 so plenty of time to learn.

In relation to your "Plenty time to Learn" Quote

I have been refereeing for over 20 years now and I am still learning, This IMHO is down to the fact that every few years IFAB have a look at them and see what can be done to simplify them

Remember "Every Day is a School Day"

Back