A&H

First game

bmace3

I’m down to do an under 15 game this weekend. It’ll be the first game since passing the course. Any tips and advice? I’ve done lots of small sided football and the odd mens game when no ref was available. Just seems more official now!

Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
My only advice is to be prepared, but try to relax! Make sure you've got everything ready the day before, so you don't have to stress about the basics. Remind yourself that you know the laws (and you'll almost certainly be the only person there who's completely up to date, despite what others will say on the day).

When it comes to it, show confidence in introducing yourself but don't pay too much attention to anything the coaches/managers say to you (eg. "watch out for this team, they do xxx"). Make your first whistle strong and clear, then get into it and do your best to enjoy it.

Afterwards, think about what you did well first. Then think about one or two things you'll improve in the next game.

Good luck, have fun - onwards and upwards!!

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

know in advance where you are going, how to get there, figure in the time, have kit ready, be hydrated, be ready in body and mind

relax and enjoy

then reflect

and learn

Have fun. Act confident when you're not.

(And there are probably dozens of threads asking this same question, so if you want to be overwhelmed with advice, do a search or scroll down the new referee section.)

Thanks for all the advice. Luckily it’s with my sons team but the under 15s so I know people and where and when to be there. Looking forward to it. Just need to purchase a new watch so I have 2!

Thanks for all the advice. Luckily it’s with my sons team but the under 15s so I know people and where and when to be there. Looking forward to it. Just need to purchase a new watch so I have 2!
The Casio bog-standard digital ones from Argos are perfect, less than a tenner

Get there early, do your warm up, be professional IMO.

As for refereeing it; Try to enjoy it, not much point advising you on things to do etc as your first game should have enough going on you won't really take it in too much. Advice for following games is easier to digest.

I’ve recently reffed my first game as well and of the two games I’ve done so far, the best advice I can give is to keep talking to the players. Stuff like “no foul” when two players are competing for the ball or “hands down” when the ball is in the air etc really helps to a) let the players know I’m watching them and b) it helps me to feel part of the game (rather than just jogging round the pitch) which helps my concentration. Also try and learn the names of a couple of the players (especially the ones who are pushing the limit of ‘fair challenges’) as I find that helps as well.
Good luck, and enjoy it!

Fist game is getting the basics right. 3 from me to think about:

I'm with confidence people. And nothing shows lack of confidence more than a feeble whistle tone. Blow it hard and make sure everyone on and around the field can hear it.
Next is your signals. No limp limbs. Chest out, sharp signal.
Lastly, a very common issue for new referees is ball watching. You are not playing but you are not spectating either. Stay close to play when possible, around 10-15 yards is ideal. In time you will learn positioning techniques.

100% with the confidence comments, sell those decisions as though you are certain even if there's doubt in your mind "took a nick off blue, it's a red gk" *run away to set up*. If you're really not sure, give yourself a couple of seconds... if green goes to take the corner and red set up to defend.... you can probably safely go with the corner!

By U14/U15 you can definitely be working with the players, see all the threads about showing cards vs educating etc. Set out your expectations pre-match and they'll generally work with you.

Quick one.. base layers with shortsleeves. Is that okay or a no no. Only got one short sleeve top, don’t know whether to put one on or just brave it.

Quick one.. base layers with shortsleeves. Is that okay or a no no. Only got one short sleeve top, don’t know whether to put one on or just brave it.

100% yes

its a game of football, not the Mian cat walk

for info, I did a national senior womens game last weekend in full trackie, absolutely no way shorts and t shirt was sensible, we are talking about health and welfare here, not regimental army
no game is worth hypothermia

Last edited:
100% yes

its a game of football, not the Mian cat walk

for info, I did a national senior womens game last weekend in full trackie, absolutely no way shorts and t shirt was sensible, we are talking about health and welfare here, not regimental army
no game is worth hypothermia

i've worn undershirt, long sleeve ref top, jumper, short sleeved ref top before when it was so cold and windy

absolutely agree, wear what feels comfortable for the conditions you'll be in. that said, if you do something extreme or out of the ordinary prepare for some sarcy comments!

As long as it is black that is fine. It used to be frowned upon but a lot less so these days.

Back