A&H

First line.

Craig Evans

Level 7 Referee
I've been refereeing for just over a year now but, have just been given my first appointment as a linesman.

Anybody have any tips?

The Referee Store
Having just done my 1st 2nd and 3rd line in the space of a week just remember:
*second* last defender - Always!
Signals
Positioning
Eye contact before signalling.
Enjoy It!
And you will make mistakes just remember to keep going and not get distracted by them.
Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:
Ill echo the above. Listen carefully, if theres anything you are unsure of, don't be afraid to ask. During the game, maintain plenty of eye contact with the referee.

Most of all, Enjoy it!!!! :D

Do this ...

OFFSIDE JUDGEMENTS – ACTIVE & PASSIVE

Active & Passive At this level we expect the Assistant Referee to use time wisely to ensure accuracy in application.

· Game reading

· Active / Passive play

· Sensible positioning to judge

· Clear and well-timed signals

· Retention of flag when necessary

· Clear evaluation of all factors

· Correct recognition and signalling of offences

Anticipation and awareness of potential offside situations

For an “above standard” performance it would be expected the Assistant Referee would also demonstrate:

· Appropriate timing. Sometimes a quick flag, sometimes a delay

· An understanding of how long to retain a signal

SUPPORT AND ASSISTANCE TO THE REFEREE
At this level we expect the Assistant Referee to be aware of the support required by the referee for each and every situation.

· Get involved in an appropriate manner

· Maintain good eye contact

· Respond positively to the Referee’s signals/gestures

· Judge the Referee’s involvement and provide assistance accordingly

For an “above standard” performance it would be expected the Assistant Referee would also demonstrate:

· Enhanced judgement of when to become involved.

· Show empathy for the needs of the referee

· Eye contact with referee prior to signalling

· Ability to read the mood of the game and to adjust involvement accordingly

SIGNALS

At this level we expect the Assistant Referee to communicate advice assertively, but non demonstratively.

· Approved

· Clear

· Decisive

· Maintenance of unnoticed signals – too long or not long enough

· High technical quality of flag work

· Positive and confident body language

· Communication with the referee to offer the reason for a signal in a clear but non demonstrative manner

ALERTNESS / MENTAL AWARENESS

At this level we expect the Assistant Referee to promote confidence in the advice offered through positive body language.

· Have poise whilst carrying out his/her duties

· Demonstrate alertness appropriate for all incidents and eventualities

· Demonstrate mental awareness

· Hold his/her gaze

· An alertness to when support is required e.g. goal line

Body Language that portrays alertness

FITNESS & POSITIONING

At this level we expect the Assistant Referee to provide confidence in the team’s decision making through appropriate positioning and ease of movement.

· Demonstrate fluidity in movement

· Positioned to provide advice with confidence

· Respond in a positive manner to the Referee’s instructions at set pieces

· Demonstrate good sprinting speed

· Be creditably positioned when making critical decisions

· Display stamina

· Body Language. Moves with purpose

· Use of small foot movements to remain in line with second rearmost defender

· Enhanced sprinting ability

· Ability to regain position quickly

· Display a commendable stamina level

I'm knackered just reading that :)

At what level is all that advice aimed at?

It is aimed at level 7, 6 and 5 referees who are operating as assistants to level 4 referees operating on a Supply League

Good luck. Remember as an assistant your image is key to proving to everyone that you know what you are doing (even if you don't). DON'T flag while moving and when you signal for simple things like throw-ins, delay you flag a second or two from the point that it goes out of play (just like on the PL), don't rush to put it up because it looks quite "messy". When signalling you want to stand "at attention" ish so it looks neat and smart.

A piece of advice given to me from a select group AR is try to get to know the left back on your side before KO (ie. his name) then at least you might have some sort of friend when you make your first offside call. You could get his name when you run to your touchline from the net inspection (possibly). It also helps you if you have to give him direction on the position for him to take a throw in (e.g. "Joe its 5 yards closer to me").

Have fun, I hope it goes well for you. A few small things, keep your flag unfurled all of the time when you are outside and keep your chin up all of the time, with a smile on your face, no-one likes a miserable ref or AR :)

remember to assist not insist, at the end of the day the ref is in charge so if he over rules you, lower your flag and correct the signal

Recently I flagged a foul throw towards the end of a game, when there hadn't been any previously.

Nobody died but there was a degree of shock (players) and confusion (referee) and part of me, only part of me, wished that i'd left well alone

to be fair, the ref's pre-match was pretty basic and he certainly didn't cover foul throws so i was happy to flag.

perhaps i should have asked the question in the dressing room beforehand but, when you're still feeling your way and the ref is level 4...............

remember to assist not insist, at the end of the day the ref is in charge so if he over rules you, lower your flag and correct the signal

Don't correct the signal! Just drop the flag. Most refs I have been with (including myself) will include a line along the following in their pre-match:

"If we cross, drop the flag. I'll take the flak for it."

Don't correct the signal! Just drop the flag. Most refs I have been with (including myself) will include a line along the following in their pre-match:

"If we cross, drop the flag. I'll take the flak for it."

Fair enough, guess it depends who you work with as different teachers will want different things from assistants

We've had some of our cup-final 'quartets' go out and get to know each other on a local match a few weeks before their final, fees might be an issue but ours have been known to line/4th official free of charge so as to get a taste, or all split the referee's fee 25% just to cover each for petrol etc if travelling separately. Clubs don't mind having 'proper linesmen' and a 'spare ref' either by all accounts.............do an evening match, when there's not many fixtures............I can hear the Grrrrrrs of appointments Secretaries if you tried it on a weekend!

Back