A&H

First match questions

This is a quote from the Standard Code of Rules (SCOR) governing open age football.

Match Officials will be paid their fees and/or expenses by the home Club before/immediately after the Competition Match. Failure to comply with this Rule will result in a fine as stated within the Fines Tariff.

This is prevent against clubs keeping referees hanging about for age after a game before paying them.

Looks like an England thing. :)

The Referee Store
There's no such rule in my league handbook, and the advice given out by that League is to ensure payment occurs pre-match to avoid incidents of non-payment. You are free to do as you wish though. :)

Oh yeah of course. I just prefer after for the reason I said above - if they fail to pay me, I take it up with the league and it’s in their hands. Only ever had to once and received payment pretty damn quickly.

On having a mentor, if you are under 18 you are more likely to get one, if a you are an adult in your 40's no chance. Didn't get anybody coming to see me in my first 5 games. I get my feedback off NARs when I ref or if I know a ref is running the line as a CAR. Payments I will take it before the game sometimes and sometimes after depending on whether I can lock it away, but getting payment before means if you have had to make unpopular but right decisions it is easier just to leave rather than get the sarcastic comments of sore losers! Your RDO should have given you a list of appointment officers for various leagues. Even if you are not appointed to begin with on the Thursday email out your availability again because refs always drop out at the last moment..I have got a lot of friendlies this summer by doing this.

Oh yeah of course. I just prefer after for the reason I said above - if they fail to pay me, I take it up with the league and it’s in their hands. Only ever had to once and received payment pretty damn quickly.

Same. :D

Hi, I have just completed a 2 day course and I now have to complete 5 matches followed by an exam. I was just wondering firstly, how do I find a match to ref when I'm not actually qualified yet and secondly, am I meant to record all the players names in my notebook and also record when substitutions take place?
Thanks
Good luck Lucy.
I personally think there is mileage in starting in kids football, U14's for example.
As long as you know the laws thoroughly and be 'brave' as someone put it, you will be fine.

With match fees at grass roots level, the coach/manager will generally hand it to you at the same time he does the team sheet.

If he doesn't, then when you do eventually get him to hand you his team's sheet, then is the time to ask. ;) It can be a bit uncomfortable and embarrassing if you're forced to enquire about it - especially after the match has finished but I always ask before if it's not offered to me. Simply saying "Okay mate, thanks, - do you know who has the match fee cos I need to shoot straight off after full time?" generally works. :):cool:

Back