A&H

Open Age First men's game tomorrow

Chloe Smart

Level 6 Referee
I'm a 16 year old female and tomorrow is my first men's game (Supplementary Cup 2nd round), which also happens to be one of my assessments for promotion. I also have the county newspaper coming to watch, so there's no pressure! Despite my age and gender I certainly don't lack the confidence going into this match. However I could do with some advice as this is certainly different to youth and differs a bit from women's middles.

I will have club assistants and I'm especially looking for advice for pre-match, for example, what to say to captains and players.

Any tips for any aspect of the game/ anything you've experienced or found useful before or during the game would be helpful, thanks! :)

The Referee Store
Be confident in your communication, so strong/immediate signals and strong whistle, Get your first 5 decisions completely correct. Don't be afraid of taking disciplinary action.

Most of all try to smile and enjoy yourself

First of all, welcome to the site

Second, I'll echo what Brian said. Keep your brief to your assistants simple.

Most of all keep smiling. Enjoy it

Enjoy it!

Just echoing the above statements - looking confident is a big thing. And a big step towards that is making sure you know the LOTG. The worst thing is when you literally don't know what the LOTG wants you to do in a scenario.

Normally the biggest problem with new referees is an unwillingness to blow the whistle or give decisions.

As the others have said, a strong confident whistle & positive signals will hide any doubts you may in yourself.

Good stuff above. I would add:

Have a re-read of the cup rules around scores being equal at 90 minutes - is it extra time then penalties? Know the procedure for penalties.

As your being assessed remember to pay attention to the little things which can lose you points; kit correct? No jewellery or bands? Wrong colour undershirts come off rather than rolled up. Check studs (if that is in your local rules that is) and so on.

Most of all; Big smile, enjoy yourself.

To build on all the great points made above. Try and brief the CARs together if you can and don't forget to re-brief if someone else takes over. And ask for the managers' help in ensuring that the substitution procedure is correctly followed, as that's another assessment points loser! So basically, get all the formalities spot on (which makes you look professional, drives credibility and helps with the assessment) but then be as relaxed and smiley as you can as this will give an air of confidence and (hopefully) relax the players!

The very best of luck ... don't forget to post the newspaper clipping :)

Sounds like you had a blinder. Good luck with your career, we all have high hopes for you now :D

Back