A&H

First Open Age Game

Lewis Hart

Hi Guys,

I had my first open age game last night, in a pre season friendly. I enjoyed it so much more than the refereeing I've been doing at juniors, mainly because:
  • No parents on the side lines shouting!
  • No crying to mummy if the ref tells you off, and being told you're a big meanie (it was cute the first time, but it quickly became annoying).
  • No "You can't caution him, he's a kid".
  • No sulking
  • Shouldn't meet that swearing granny again.
Am I going into open age with rose tinted glasses, or is all of the above true? What are the disadvantages of OA?

The Referee Store
They all think they own the pitch, that's a big issue with OA. What they say is always law even when they're totally wrong

Hi Guys,

I had my first open age game last night, in a pre season friendly. I enjoyed it so much more than the refereeing I've been doing at juniors, mainly because:
  • No parents on the side lines shouting!
  • No crying to mummy if the ref tells you off, and being told you're a big meanie (it was cute the first time, but it quickly became annoying).
  • No "You can't caution him, he's a kid".
  • No sulking
  • Shouldn't meet that swearing granny again.
Am I going into open age with rose tinted glasses, or is all of the above true? What are the disadvantages of OA?
That's not too far from my own experiences. I enjoy youth football but the different age ranges have their own issues. I stress these are generally the minority.
U7/8/9/10 - parents (need I say more). Most clubs have improved behaviour due to the Respect campaign but there's still plenty to be done.
U11/12/13 - less so parents but more so managers and coaches. Suddenly, there's a league title on the line and every point and goal is vital (not true but try telling them that).
U14/15/16 - too much hormonal change on the pitch. Previously angelic players turn into teenage monsters :cool: and don't you cop it as a ref.

In general, I find it easier to handle adults acting like spoiled kids than a spoiled kid trying to be all adult.

Or it could just be the Yorkshire air.

That's not too far from my own experiences. I enjoy youth football but the different age ranges have their own issues. I stress these are generally the minority.
U7/8/9/10 - parents (need I say more). Most clubs have improved behaviour due to the Respect campaign but there's still plenty to be done.
U11/12/13 - less so parents but more so managers and coaches. Suddenly, there's a league title on the line and every point and goal is vital (not true but try telling them that).
U14/15/16 - too much hormonal change on the pitch. Previously angelic players turn into teenage monsters :cool: and don't you cop it as a ref.

In general, I find it easier to handle adults acting like spoiled kids than a spoiled kid trying to be all adult.

Or it could just be the Yorkshire air.

You've got it spot on there!

This will be my first year not refereeing OA Sunday League and I honestly will miss it, despite everything! I have always much preferred it to youth games; I dropped youth and picked up OA as soon as I turned 16.

Enjoy it Lewis, it's a real test of your refereeing ability but you will certainly develop, not least in your man-management abilities!

This will be my first year not refereeing OA Sunday League and I honestly will miss it, despite everything! I have always much preferred it to youth games; I dropped youth and picked up OA as soon as I turned 16.

Enjoy it Lewis, it's a real test of your refereeing ability but you will certainly develop, not least in your man-management abilities!

I hope to! My mentor is keen for me to stick with older juniors for a year, but I think I'm ready for the step up, so I'm gonna grab the bull by the horns and go for it!

I found youth football boring ... you are more of a minder than a referee and I for one couldn't hack it!

OA football is tricky at times and you cant be smug with an adult!

Back