A&H

Junior/Youth First Red Card And Unheard Allegation Of Racism...

CallumS

Mr Referee
Level 7 Referee
Had 2 games today, an U14 and an U13. There was 2 incidents across them that I wasn't completely sure how to handle.

U14 game was first. Fairly dull game and finished 10-2. I gave 2 penalties, one of which might have been soft as they were pushing against each other 50/50 and the stronger of the two won however he wasn't watching the ball therefore I awarded a penalty. Anyway, the main incident was an allegation of one player calling another "a f****** ****" and later "a stupid c***". I heard neither although I was told of the remark by 5/6 players on the team of the person the insults were aimed at. I explained to them that I hadn't heard and therefore couldn't do anything about it but told the captain to have a word with his players (which to be fair he did and had no trouble with him) and that I would be listening carefully for language. Later, after awarding the 2nd penalty the fouled player exchanged words with the fouler and said "f*** off mate". I told him to mind the language but should I have sent him off? Lots of words were being exchanged at this time and it was the first time i'd heard anything from him so i let it go. Anyway, match ends and i have a brief conversation with the teams coach who tells me they will be following it (i.e. the alleged racism) up with the county FA and they ask me to mention it in my match report. What should I say? I definitely saw the two clash heads a little so could mention that?

Second match was a more exciting 2-1 and U13. Just before half time the away striker is one on one with the keeper, keeper runs out and gets none of the ball, kicking the striker hard in the shin. I wave the coach on to see the player and get the keepers name whilst parents predict what I will do. I award a red card for DOGSO/excessive force and give the free kick just outside the area. Whilst I’ve been doing this I turn and about 5/6 parents and coaches are now on the pitch without consent. On this occasion i let it go as they were mostly clearly concerned with the injured player. Should I have tried to get them off? My CAR agreed with the decision so I chatted with them about it whilst the player was treated. One coach said the decision was ridiculous and I was being harsh. Anyway, at the end of the game the same coach informs me that he’s agreed with the opposition coach that I don’t have to send in the report. I tell them that I cannot do this and the report will be sent through (obviously coach of GK was not pleased with this). Surely, I can't do this? I won't regardless but should I mention that it was requested of me?

Then a parent who says he’s a level 5 referee tells me I can’t card an U13 because they’re learning. He agrees it was DOGSO but insists the challenge was reckless despite the keeper not going for the ball and just kicking the player.

Any advice is appreciated on the two incidents. I will also be speaking with my mentor.

On the plus side, got a good laugh out of a CB telling me in the middle of the game to shorten the half because he had cramp :)

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Personally I would not mention the racial remark as you did not hear it. If the club wants to take it further with the FA than that's up to them.

The penalty incident sounds more like frustration that he was fouled so would tell him to watch his language and leave it at that.

The red card is correct DOGSO is a red card offence at any age. Strange comment by the parent to say you can't send him off because he is learning. Surely if he is learning then you need to send him off so that he learns that you can't make that kind of challenge?

You did right in all cases
You will send all reports and you will simply tell the truth like you did on the topic ie "Many players told me that, there was an issue between the players but I didn't (and couldn't) hear myself any racist words" simple

I would mention you were told about a remark, but also note you did not hear it yourself. Job done on that one.

As for the other game, blank the comments from the "level 5" referee. If he was a real referee he would know better. Next time this happens ask the idiots name and name and shame him at the next referee association meeting you go to. Word get around. Send in your report as it happened. If you thought serious foul play (rather than dogso), that is what gets reported. Nobody else's opinion matters. Especially "level 5" idiots who should know better.

Well done for having the courage of your convictions mate. Not easy in the face of stupidity sometimes. :)

Dogso is dogso, 2,12,22 or 82 years old. Parent/L5 ref needs to butt out and stop trying to intimidate you.

Can mention racism in report as you didnt hear it, let the clubs battle that one with the CFA

Ignore the level 5, he obviously doesn't know DOGSO means dismissal, whatever the age. Make reference to the alleged remarks in your report but make it clear you did not hear it. Just like SM said.

I said to send all reports so it kinda goes without saying

Btw I wasn't serious huh

Is the following all right for the report form...

In the 35th minute of the game an ****** striker was through on goal with only the ****** goalkeeper to beat. The goalkeeper ran out and as the striker took a touch to go round the goalkeeper the goalkeeper kicked the strikers shin hard and the striker went down.

I sent off the goalkeeper for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, serious foul play and using excessive force.

I was within 10 yards off the incident.

Anything else I need to add?

Should I mention that the manager tried to convince me to not send a report in?

In the 35th minute of the above match (assuming the report heading has this in) ATTACKERNAME was kicked with excessive force by goalkeepername whilst ATTACKERNAME ran into (area of the pitch). I was within 10 yards of the incident and had a clear and unobstructed view of the incident.

The keepername was show a red card for serious foul play and instructed to leave the field of play.

--------------

That is what I would submit for that. You can only send him off for one thing, go with the most serious offence.

Resist the urge to provide too much detail. Enough to make your point. Not too much and give the player scope to appeal and twist your words.

Edit: almost forgot - probably an idea add area of the pitch the offence happened!

Last edited:
Is the following all right for the report form...

In the 35th minute of the game an ****** striker was through on goal with only the ****** goalkeeper to beat. The goalkeeper ran out and as the striker took a touch to go round the goalkeeper the goalkeeper kicked the strikers shin hard and the striker went down.

I sent off the goalkeeper for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, serious foul play and using excessive force.

I was within 10 yards off the incident.

Anything else I need to add?

Should I mention that the manager tried to convince me to not send a report in?

Sounds good to me, I would add in about the manager because you won't do yourself any favours adding in information if questioned or called to a personal hearing!

Then a parent who says he’s a level 5 referee tells me I can’t card an U13 because they’re learning. He agrees it was DOGSO but insists the challenge was reckless despite the keeper not going for the ball and just kicking the player.

A player not going for the ball and
deliberately kicking someone doesn't mean it's SFP, you'll often see cynical trips with no intent to play the ball that are yellow card offences. Would you have adjudged it to be SFP if he had been attempting to play the ball?

Back