A&H

First time abused

Y

Yacinho

Hello guys,

I want to share a story with you.

Exactly one month ago, I was NAR in a U19 match, the game is 86 minutes old, visitors are down by 2 and taking the piss at every decision.

N.10 runs but he pushes the ball a little too long before he puts it in the penalty area, I have a clear view, the ball is out, definitely a goal kick, I immediately raise my flag, during the time, the ball finds a team mates who scores.
Ref then acknowledge my flag, I signal for the goal kick.
N.10 (and few other players) runs towards me, he starts insulting me, sticks his forehead on mine, a team mate grabbed him and pulled him back but just enough so N.10 can slap me with his fingers.
He than proceed to threaten me "after the game" and all that crap.
The ref showed him the red but didn't abandon the game, he took a long time to get out of the FOP, insulting everybody.

After the game, I join my colleagues in the center of the field, suddenly N.10 who came back, topless, grab me by the arm, saying we are gonna settle the argument "like men" :rolleyes:, of course I politely refused his invitation, and we go to the locker room under some more insults and threats from him.

I didn't shared this with you because I didn't want to talk much about it as I felt confident to go back out there the very next weekend.

I did a golden report and pressed charges the next day (not that I was expecting something to legally happen to him, just to give more weight to the issue).
We finally had the hearing Tuesday, surprisingly enough, he showed up, I raised my case, he said he didn't want to come back after the game but that I provoked him by responding to his threats :rolleyes:, yeah, sorry to not show fear, that must be taking as a provocation for a guy like that. Now he's banned for..... 4 years.

The Referee Store
Can't agree more..
Was afraid this might put in doubt what I had to say about the event

Reactions: one
Firstly its good that you got back out there , and were relatively unaffected by it all
A 4 year ban ......? If that situation had happened in my local Fa the guy would be unlucky if he got 10 weeks ?

The ban your player got is the way forward , if you cannot behave , you cannot play

Glad you are ok, that's the most important thing. Should have been abandoned, excellent that your FA has supported you. Don't let it put you off. :)

Thank's for the support guys
The incident didn't traumatise me but it was really nice to get some closure by confronting the player.
To be honest I was expecting a 1 to 2 years ban top, @Beezer seriously, 10 matches for insulting, threaten, go head to head and slap an official ref ?!
He can still appeal, and I think he will

I remember a chap in my first adult match (Leicestershire & Rutland FA) kicking 2 balls at me from 5 yards after the final whistle (missed both times the pr*ck).
Got 3 months ban which I thought was taking the p*ss.
Only the RDO at the time stopped me from packing it in.

great to hear you're ok mate!

and nice to see the FA taking the matter seriously - out of interest, anything from the police?

Y it's really encouraging to see you have come out the other side positive. Seems like you handled it as well as you possibly could and good job the association.
My 16yo daughter has never encountered the idiots. She has so far refereed only U12 and U13, without incident as you'd hope from that age group, but I stand on the side lines thinking, what if. On the one hand, as a father I am not going to put up with any threat to my daughter, on the other hand I suspect that my advancing onto the FOP will not assist her control of the game or help her learn how to deal with that situation.

Our county FAs need to take serious note of the ban length and follow suit.

This season I've almost jacked it in due to total lack of action on assaults

@Yacinho as an advocate of someone assaulting you. You cannot let them beat you go ahead with the charges and show them who the better person.

I'll see if and when I hear from the police if I go further, I will seek advice from UNAF (National Union of French Referees) who takes care of all advocate and justice related fees and has already assisted me during the hearing.
My aim was to get rid of him for a long time, it's a success, I'm already happy.
Maybe the police already decided to let this one go anyway

Back