A&H

First

colindotcom

First red card for OFINABUS to today, I really dont know what drives a player to look at you and swear like that.

I was calling him over anyway to caution him for kicking the ball away when he refused and swore at me, it was alot easier to RC him than i thought it would be!

Though some of his team mates thought the RC was for kicking the ball away and consequently asked for a RC when the opposing team did it!

The Referee Store
One of my 1st ever reds was for something similar. Player had made a bad tackle, was only going to be a yellow, that was until he started calling me all the names under the sun! Called him over, he called me the "C" word, he then got sent for an early shower! Easy! His captain even thanked me for sending him off after the game!

Hi Something to consider here. As the player was deserving of a caution for delaying the restart then IMO that yellow needs to be shown followed by the straight red card for offinabus. That tells players that there was a cautionable offence followed by a dismissal. One card only shows one offence. The report will say otherwise. In the case of say two yellows then they should be both shown followed by the red.

So I should have shown him a YC first and then a straight red?
I also put in the report I was about to caution him first, was I right to do this?

I think you were correct Colin. As far as I'm aware, you discipline the more serious offence, no need for caution first.

If a player commits a reckless challenge that you're going to caution him for, but he then proceeds to punch an opponent, you don't caution him first and then send him off, you give him a straight red card.

I may be wrong, but that is what I'd do.

Hi
Circumstances are important. Yes when the red card is needed to deal with the situation then by all means red card without the yellow. Usually those are all the same offence with the VC being dealt with. No one is going to question that.
However in the case say of two yellows or a yellow say for dissent followed by a red for offinabus then a yellow/s followed by a red is appropriate. Communication is important in the issue of cards. So it was not a red for kicking the ball away but a yellow for that followed by a straight red for offinabus. That prevents any doubt about what the card was for.

I think you were correct Colin. As far as I'm aware, you discipline the more serious offence, no need for caution first.

If a player commits a reckless challenge that you're going to caution him for, but he then proceeds to punch an opponent, you don't caution him first and then send him off, you give him a straight red card.

I may be wrong, but that is what I'd do.

You only choose to deal with the more serious offense if they two offenses happen at the same time by the same player. In this case, they were subsequent; it would be more correct, in law, to show the yellow and tell the player "that's for delaying the restart of play" and, subsequently, show the red and say "that's for offensive, insulting, and abusive language." However, I would say that telling the player "It was only going to be a yellow until you chose to turn it red with your OFFINABUS" would be acceptable.

Agreed with your final point. No need to show yellow then red, just inform offender/captain that he talked himself from yellow to straight red.

Back