A&H

Fitness during a break

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Tomorrow is my last game before I go on paternity leave. I’m expecting at least 2 months out before I’ll do another game.

Any tips on things to do to keep fit and strong? Ideally that can be done indoors or don’t take longer than a baby’s sleep window!

The Referee Store
Maybe a daft question but ... why?
I'd be doing 10 games a week to escape. I won't be winning any 'father of the year' competitions
Alas, we've moved on from the days when my Nana would make Sunday Dinner every day of the week with homemade rice pudding and nutmeg
There's one thing I'm not cut out for.... 'Paternity Leave!'. Social Services would be round my house in a shot

Last edited:
This blog post from a US National referee has some overall points about in-season vs off-season training.

Maybe a daft question but ... why?
I did the same.
For me it was about being at home to support my wife, ensure she gets time to rest, and not left alone having to do everything while I am out, mostly, enjoying myself.
We also don't have a support network here to rely on so no Nanna/Grandma/Granddad's here to give a break and I simply could not justify long days out the house.

Tomorrow is my last game before I go on paternity leave. I’m expecting at least 2 months out before I’ll do another game.

Any tips on things to do to keep fit and strong? Ideally that can be done indoors or don’t take longer than a baby’s sleep window!
Running, principally. Baby will sleep between 14-17 hours in 5 or 6 windows so you'll get some good opportunities 30-60 mins to get out and run a 5k.
If you want to go longer, a good idea, and you should still, have baby for periods to allow mum to have a break and sleep. Depending on how you plan to feed, you could take 2 hours to go out, train, shower etc. And then return favour for mum to go out, see friends, relax away from the responsibility of caring for baby.

I started refereeing when child #1 came. Perfect escape. For me and Ms Sangria, we needed actual appointments to stick with to get out (PT for her).

Also, if you aren't planning to go to a gym a lot during this time, I'd invest in some fitness bands - both larger bands with handles and "mini-bands" (I've linked to one example of the mini-bands. Between the bands and some fairly basic bodyweight exercises, you should also be able to at least maintain strength during this time.

For example, using mini-bands with bodyweight squats provides resistance, as does using mini-bands for sidesteps and diagonal/"monster" walks with resistance to keep hip strength up.

Last edited:

Try Busy Dad Program on YouTube and website. 20 mins of burpees will keep you in great shape!

I get four months off paid, plenty of time for me to get games in after Christmas. My wife could use the support, if it turns out as less pressure than I thought then I might get back to it sooner.
I found I did a lot of pretty awkward holding the baby with my right arm/hand due to the location of taps, showers, changing tables etc. do watch for ergonomics.

If it’s your first time a rock solid changing table is your friend;)

Congratulations on becoming a father! Staying fit and strong during paternity leave, while navigating newborn schedules, can be challenging but rewarding. Remember to nourish yourself with wholesome meals like pasta with ham and cheese to keep your energy levels up for the wonderful journey ahead.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

My advice would be to not put a length of time you’ll be out for on it just yet… see how your partner feels closer to the time. I turned up to referee a friendly for my first time back after having my baby about 2 months later. Then my wife phoned need the latest I’ve ever pulled out of a game and I’m not proud of it, but some things are more important than football.

Agree with @JamesL about running - there will be plenty of opportunities to squeeze a few miles in here and there

Back