A&H

Fitness for Hopeful Future Referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanK

Kent FA
Level 7 Referee
Hi everyone,

Full disclaimer: I'm not yet a referee, but I have a strong desire to become one. I'm 34, but the one thing I'm worried about is my fitness. I'm quite overweight, but continuously losing weight week-on-week and drastically improved my diet, 2 x weekly 30 min cardio, daily dog walks and playing 7-9-a-side football once a week.

I've seen resources of level five and above, but is there guides/advice for levels 7-9? Or alternatively, how far from it would you say a level 7 is?

I'm open to all suggestions, even if it means putting it off for a year or two while I get up to par. Just looking for some terms of reference to see what I should aim for and measuring progress as I go.

Hopefully my post makes sense.

Thanks!

The Referee Store
Just sign up, do it and get started!

There’s a vast range of football available each with widely varying demands on fitness. Girls, Youth, Ladies, Open Age are all available.

I’d suggest getting experience in the middle will be more important to you than fitness to begin with.

That said, being fit isn’t a bad thing. Even if refereeing isn’t for you, keeping fit will only help you in years to come.

I have been assistant ref to some of the older guys this year (talking seniors here). Who have low mobility around the field, but are smart with their positioning.
At grassroots you aren't there to set the world on fire. Being mobile for 90 minutes will be good for you.
This year refereeing has been a blast and I would recommend it to anyone who has thick skin.

Since qualifying, I have limited myself to 9v9 games as I have been slowly recovering from an injury. It has given me great experience with slightly less importance on fitness and mobility. I can definitely recommend it as a stepping stone into 11v11. I just told the local league secretaries that I was only available for 9v9 games (which are chronically short of referees)

If you do choose a course, it will likely be a few months in advances of when you actually sit the course, and begin to referee. This would give you time to continue building confidence in your fitness.

Hi everyone,

Full disclaimer: I'm not yet a referee, but I have a strong desire to become one. I'm 34, but the one thing I'm worried about is my fitness. I'm quite overweight, but continuously losing weight week-on-week and drastically improved my diet, 2 x weekly 30 min cardio, daily dog walks and playing 7-9-a-side football once a week.

I've seen resources of level five and above, but is there guides/advice for levels 7-9? Or alternatively, how far from it would you say a level 7 is?

I'm open to all suggestions, even if it means putting it off for a year or two while I get up to par. Just looking for some terms of reference to see what I should aim for and measuring progress as I go.

Hopefully my post makes sense.

Thanks!
A lot of County Level Referees are not particularly fit
You have the opportunity to Referee to get fit. It just depends how committed you are. I'm 48 and needed to lose best part of 2 stone to pass the 5-to-4 fitness test. I decided I wanted to pass it, I wanted it, so I did it. There's the potential that Refereeing could have a huge +ve effect on your overall wellness

Agree with your point of view! If you have a spark you should never give up. It depends on your consideration and struggles. So have faith in yourself and try your level best

You should look for referee training programs or courses in your area. These programs typically cover the laws of the game, positioning, signaling, decision-making, and other important aspects of refereeing. Even if the resources you've found are geared towards referees of higher levels, they can still provide valuable insights and knowledge that you can apply to your own development. While there may not be specific fitness standards for referees at levels 7-9, it's important to strive for a level of fitness that allows you to effectively officiate matches without feeling fatigued. Refereeing at higher levels often requires a higher level of fitness, as the pace of the game and physical demands increase. Aim to achieve a level of fitness where you feel comfortable and confident on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back