A&H

Floating Penalty Spot

micky2001

At the Celtic v Rangers game yesterday, it went to KFTPM after it ended 2-2 AET. Rangers win the toss and therefore Celtic were to take penalties second. In sudden death, Rogic steps up to take the PK but as he puts his foot down beside the ball before he kicks it (see pictures) the spot seams to rise, which seems to have caused him to miss kick it.

(Background - Hampden Park has been relayed multiple times since the Comminwealth Games and was only relayed in the last week or so, just before 2 national cup semi finals).

Anyway, as a referee, if you notice the pitch rise during a penalty or FK, what (if anything) is your decision?

Similarly, like in the Paul Robinson case, what is your decision (if anything) if the ball bobbles on an obvious hole or divot on the pitch you didn't notice pre-match?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
  • image.png
    image.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 44
The Referee Store
Bizarre....given it's KFTM, I suppose the referee could change ends.
As for the kick itself? I think the referee is stuck.
Referee should inspect the ends when choosing for KFTM so it should get picked up there.

Bizarre

Not sure if you could apply some logic to the pitch being defective similar to if a ball becomes so.

In fairness to the ref an inspection wouldn't have necessarily picked this up. seems an act of God

As far as I can tell from the laws though, it's just one of those things

Do you think the that since the ball technically moved it was no longer stationary and therefore should've been taken?

Hi
In this game changing ends is a huge decision.
For me the pitch is the same for both teams and nothing new in damaged penalty marks. The ball did not move appreciably to a point that it had to be retaken.

@AlexF can you let me know what the laws of the game actually mean then? I was under the impression that the ball should not be moving. Full stop.

@Goldfish take your point about changing ends. But with damaged spots, these are normally pretty evident before the kick is taken and then it would be the same for both teams. In this instance though, the damage is caused due to a poor pitch, less than a second before the actual kick. Comparing apples with oranges if you ask me.

Hi
In this game changing ends is a huge decision.
For me the pitch is the same for both teams and nothing new in damaged penalty marks. The ball did not move appreciably to a point that it had to be retaken.
In a televised match it certainly would be.
At a local game? Not so significant. It's always an option on the table (though not a desirable one, it may be the least worst option at this point) - though the referee should thoroughly inspect the PA before choosing ends, including the penalty mark.

@AlexF can you let me know what the laws of the game actually mean then? I was under the impression that the ball should not be moving. Full stop.
Simply put, stationary means that it's been "placed". It can still move a bit with wind, with ground movement (ie above with the step shifting the ground).

Motionless means that there can be no movement AT ALL.

And no, stationary and motionless aren't one and the same.

Heck for all we know, the penalty marks were both inspected and this one was found to be the better one of the two...

Simply put, stationary means that it's been "placed". It can still move a bit with wind, with ground movement (ie above with the step shifting the ground).

Heck for all we know, the penalty marks were both inspected and this one was found to be the better one of the two...

Stationary and motionless are EXACTLY the same thing... No movement. At all. A football is not stationary if it has been placed, then moves due to the wind.

Good luck explaining that stationary and motionless are not the same thing on a Sunday morning!;)

Back