A&H

Football Boots, Law 4

Kref

I was reading law 4 in regards to safe player kit and from the last thread that was made 7 years ago in regard to this topic have the rules changes yet in regards to have metal studs for players? Or is it still jus the discretion of the referee?

The Referee Store
Though some come rules or local ground rules (synthetic grass for example) may put some limitations on this.
As a referee, I look at safety first (law 4), then comply with comp rules. I don't worry about ground rules, that's someone else's job. Well unless comp rules say it's mine.

I wonder when the last time was someone actually failed a boot safety check ?

Certainly in senior football, it feels increasingly like something we do just because we've always done it.

When you could wear old plastic studs down to the thread, so you ended up with a screw sticking out of the end, or you could sharpen a metal stud, there was a reason. Never had it whilst I have been refereeing and can only remember it once in the last 20 years of playing - and that was an officious referee who decided a missing stud was dangerous (which I personally didn't agree with).

Every match I check I just feel like I'm wasting everyones time, but at least with the younger ages, I always ask them what I'm looking for to keep them engaged. They almost ever say "metal studs" except for one lad two weeks ago who said in all seriousness "weapons".

I wonder when the last time was someone actually failed a boot safety check ?

Certainly in senior football, it feels increasingly like something we do just because we've always done it.

When you could wear old plastic studs down to the thread, so you ended up with a screw sticking out of the end, or you could sharpen a metal stud, there was a reason. Never had it whilst I have been refereeing and can only remember it once in the last 20 years of playing - and that was an officious referee who decided a missing stud was dangerous (which I personally didn't agree with).

Cant remember when last checked, even at senior level the priority shifted to under garments years ago.

Back