A&H

'Foul throw!!!!!'

MatthewC

Open age fixture this weekend, relatively uneventful game that home side ended winning 8-0, playing in good spirits and mostly in the spirit of the game.

First (of 2) cautions came in the 45+1st minute. Attacker runs down the wing chased by defender. As he pulls his leg back to cross the ball into the box, defender screams 'ooooooosh!' Ball goes harmlessly out for what would be a goal kick, I blow, award the IDF, and caution the defender for verbally distracting an opponent. He puts up a huge protest ('I always do that ref!', 'that's not a real rule', 'i've never seen that given before' etc.) that almost results in a second yellow for dissent.

Anyway, throughout the game, a player from the opposing side has been appealing for a foul throw every time the other team take a throw in. About 5 minutes from time, the 'foul throw' appeals get louder, and are made sooner after the throw is taken, to the point where the player is now shouting as the throw in is taken. Normally, this wouldn't cause a problem. The lad was having a laugh, nothing else. It was that sort of game. But because I'd cautioned for what in my opinion was a completely different offence in the first half, the player that'd been cautioned for it was extremely wound up that an opposition player was 'getting away' with what he felt was exactly the same thing. I considered having a word with the foul throw appealer, but figured that it would probably cause more trouble than it would solve ('how come he gets a warning?! I never got one!'), but felt a caution would have been extremely harsh considering the nature of the game, and the fact that I didn't really feel there was an offense there. I let it go, and it was just the one player who made anything of it. Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Personally I would have had a word with the guy doing the shouting, I wouldn't do it in a public way just stand near him and talk to him maybe during a break in play. "Listen fella we both know there is nothing wrong with the throw and I think we both know what your doing so do me a favour and wind in a bit".

@MatthewC - I'd be interested to hear what you thought was the difference between the player yelling "ooooosh" and the one yelling "foul throw" - especially why you think one was distracting and the other wasn't.

You mention the player kicked the ball out but you don't indicate whether you felt the shout had any influence on that outcome.

Last edited:
Personally I would have had a word with the guy doing the shouting, I wouldn't do it in a public way just stand near him and talk to him maybe during a break in play. "Listen fella we both know there is nothing wrong with the throw and I think we both know what your doing so do me a favour and wind in a bit".

I think in retrospect, this probably would've been the best course of action. I was trying to avoid getting accused of treating each team differently i.e. giving one player a warning whilst reaching straight for the pocket with the other, but I guess by not dealing with it, I've pretty much put myself in that situation anyway.

@Matthew - I'd be interested to hear what you thought was the difference between the player yelling "ooooosh" and the one yelling "foul throw" - especially why you think one was distracting and the other wasn't.

The 'ooooosh' was a deliberate act (I'm well aware that intent is not required) that successfully impacted on play. Not in the spirit of the game at all. The foul throw shouts started off as appeals, but turned into the player having a laugh. He found it funny, his team found it funny, all but one of the opposition found it funny. It was the sort of game where both teams were bantering with each other throughout, and this felt like a lighthearted attempt at humor. Also, and most importantly, I didn't feel like it had any impact on play at all. Had he been yelling it in the ear of the player taking the throw then I'd have taken a different approach.

I tend to try and stamp the shouting out at the first couple of throws by loudly telling them nothing wrong with it and to get on with the game.....

Once they realise you aren't going to be swayed by their whining they tend to pack it in.

I think you've only really got 2 real options - a quiet word during a break in play with the 'Foul Throw' shouter, or a yellow.

You could argue that as it gets to the point he's taking the throw rather than afterwards it is in an attempt to distract as opposed to be stupid.

I had a game earlier in the season where I had a couple of game changing decisions that both went against one team (a penalty and a sending off, both at separate incidents in the first half if I remember correctly), so naturally that team thought I was against them.

Mid-way into the second half two or 3 players started alternating massively over the top appeals for obvious throws to them. Tried the quiet word in the craptains ear to no avail so next time IDFK and yellow 20 yards upfield where the throw was actually theirs.

Didn't happen again :D

think you've only really got 2 real options - a quiet word during a break in play with the 'Foul Throw' shouter, or a yellow.

You could argue that as it gets to the point he's taking the throw rather than afterwards it is in an attempt to distract as opposed to be stupid.
Or if you don't think it's having a distracting effect, it could be a USB yellow for "act[ing] in a manner which shows a lack of respect for the game." Only after warning the player first, though and only if he continues to do it after being warned. .

Does it matter?
Yes, it does. It's not an offence to shout out during a match, only if it distracts an opponent. That's why shouting "Mine!" or "Leave it!" is not an automatic caution. So if a player shouts "oooooosh" but the referee judges that the opponent was not distracted by the shout, it's not an offence.

Yes, it does. It's not an offence to shout out during a match, only if it distracts an opponent. That's why shouting "Mine!" or "Leave it!" is not an automatic caution. So if a player shouts "oooooosh" but the referee judges that the opponent was not distracted by the shout, it's not an offence.

Whilst everything you say is true, I personally will (for example) caution a defender shouting "bang" at a striker about to shoot without even considering whether it has effected distracted him.
Seems incorrect in law but I sleep well knowing a player trying to cheat has been sanctioned. Also, how am I supposed to know if a striker has been distracted?

The "you can't shout leave it" question again. Had said issue myself on Sunday. Apparently, by allowing a player to say "let it go" to a teammate, I'm the worst ref ever and the opposition are going to appeal the result. They only lost 8-3 so they must have good grounds to appeal and waste a bit of money.
Admittedly, the winners did score from said incident but a distraction? No.

So if a player shouts "oooooosh" but the referee judges that the opponent was not distracted by the shout, it's not an offence.
Or at least, it would not be an offence of verbally distracting an opponent during play. However, as I mentioned earlier in relation to the "foul throw" shouts, I guess it could be a caution for USB. I do see a distinction between a shout of "mine" or "leave it" which could very easily have an innocent explanation and a shout such as that described in the OP which would seem to have no other explanation than an attempt to distract the opponent, even if it doesn't succeed.

Last edited:
Back