A&H

France vs Greece retaken penalty

Peter Grove

RefChat Addict
What am I missing here? This was the instant just after Mbappé struck the ball and the keeper surely has at least part of one foot still on or behind the line.

IMG_20230621_122947.jpg
So why was this retaken?

The Referee Store
I'd assume it's the Greek player a yard inside the box right in front of the referee. The French player may also be on the line of the penalty area but the Greek player's infringement is clear.

It was saved by the keeper so a retake is correct.

Last edited:
I'd assume it's the Greek player a yard inside the box right infront of the referee. The French player may also be on the line of the penalty area but the Greek player's infringement is clear.

It was saved by the keeper so a retake is correct.
You're right - I just watched the highlights again and the defender you mention got involved in clearing the ball. I hadn't noticed before as I was concentrating on the keeper. Tunnel vision.

You're right - I just watched the highlights again and the defender you mention got involved in clearing the ball. I hadn't noticed before as I was concentrating on the keeper. Tunnel vision.
In law, it makes no difference if that player gets involved in clearing the ball or not. May well be a consideration on whether we penalise them in practice but in law the offence has already happened long before he clears the ball.

In law, it makes no difference if that player gets involved in clearing the ball or not. May well be a consideration on whether we penalise them in practice but in law the offence has already happened long before he clears the ball.
Yes, it does matter for games with VAR where penalty encroachment is being looked at. VAR can only intervene if the player who encroached gets involved in scoring or preventing a goal. (Otherwise about 99.9% of penalties would have to be retaken).

The actual wording in the laws is as follows:

The categories of decision/incident which may be reviewed in the event of a potential ‘clear and obvious error’ or ‘serious missed incident’ are:
[...]
encroachment by an attacker or defender who becomes directly involved in play if the penalty kick rebounds from the goalpost, crossbar or goalkeeper.
(Emphasis mine).

Yes, it does matter for games with VAR where penalty encroachment is being looked at. VAR can only intervene if the player who encroached gets involved in scoring or preventing a goal. (Otherwise about 99.9% of penalties would have to be retaken).

The actual wording in the laws is as follows:

[...]

(Emphasis mine).
Didn't watch the game, was it picked up on field or by the VAR?

LOTG simply state that if a team-mate if the goalkeeper offends and the ball doesn't enter the goal then the oenalty is retaken.

VAR protocols don't change the laws of the game, only what they are and aren't authorised to intervene with.

Didn't watch the game, was it picked up on field or by the VAR?

LOTG simply state that if a team-mate if the goalkeeper offends and the ball doesn't enter the goal then the oenalty is retaken.

VAR protocols don't change the laws of the game, only what they are and aren't authorised to intervene with.
It was picked up by VAR. This has happened a number of times now and it is always the case that in games with VAR (as stated in that extract from the laws I just quoted) VAR can only review if the encroaching player gets directly involved.

You're right, it is an example of where VAR seems to operate on different parameters than in the 'normal' laws of the game so it actually does somewhat contradict the contention that the laws of the game are not altered for VAR.

We've actually had a number of threads on the site already where this has particular aspect of the VAR protocol has been discussed.

This is also an example of a call that would never have been made without VAR—if noticed it would have been considered trifling encroachment And while technically correct under current protocols, is this really the kind of horrific errors that VAR should get involved in? (I suppose the counter argument is that before VAR, this still shot would have many more players in and farther across the line than what we see here.)

Back