A&H

Friendly Grealishimulation

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
Might need to wait for MOTD, but sounds like the burning issue of the day
Overrated player who is in my personal cheat notebook. Sounds like historic antics preceded him today and i'm expecting some technical whatnot as to why VAR couldn't intervene. Haven't seen it so, we'll see
Is the PGMOL using VAR btw? Impressive high bar to negotiate ;) Like rolling the clock back to a bygone year when the world was a better place

Last edited:
The Referee Store
PGMOL came out pretty quickly and said the referee adjudicated Grealish to have dived, VAR looked at it and deemed there to be insufficient evidence to rule it a clear and obvious error

PGMOL came out pretty quickly and said the referee adjudicated Grealish to have dived, VAR looked at it and deemed there to be insufficient evidence to rule it a clear and obvious error
The media are united with injustice. We'll see. As I say, I definitely am not a fan of the player so kinda hoping he cost his team another point

VAR couldn’t be used as the referee blew the whistle before the goal was scored.

(Or, perhaps, more accurately, VAR couldn’t “award” the goal as the whistle had been blown before the goal was shown.)

VAR couldn’t be used as the referee blew the whistle before the goal was scored.

(Or, perhaps, more accurately, VAR couldn’t “award” the goal as the whistle had been blown before the goal was shown.)
Indeed, can't see what VAR could do about that one
Unsafe refereeing is what I'd call this. Hope to goodness I don't chuck meself under one of those busses tomorrow morning

But VAR could be used to award a penalty (and rescind the yellow card) if they felt there was a clear and obvious error.

Last edited:
Poor decision, that. Didn't look like he dived, and he could have let the play go on. Saying that, if we saw the game in it's entirety and Grealish was falling all over the place all game, the ref may have thought the same would happen here. I look forward to seeing it tonight.

...i'd have more sympathy if Grealish covered his shins, mind. Accident waiting to happen !

But VAR could be used to award a penalty (and rescind the yellow card) if they felt there was a clear and obvious error.
Would've been the best outcome in the situation. Friend clearly thought Grealish initiated contact, I originally thought he awarded the pen.

Grealish was falling all over the place all game
Absolutely, my cheat notebook has this fella much higher than his team status would ordinarily merit
In Friend's defence, I doubt this 'diving everywhere' will get a mention when it comes to the crunch KMI. The cheats make the game impossible to referee. That said, this was car crash whistle blowing
i'd have more sympathy if Grealish covered his shins
The IFAB are all about safety and have us inspecting studs with sensational needlessness, yet they haven't got the minerals to sort this stupidity out

I saw this on MOTD, and I cant understand the decision to call this a dive.

The IFAB are all about safety and have us inspecting studs with sensational needlessness, yet they haven't got the minerals to sort this stupidity out

No, they don't.

The laws of the game only say players have to wear footwear, i.e. you can't play barefoot.

And that referees have to check that players equipment is safe. Nowhere does it make any mention of studs, or at what frequency they should be checked.

However, as it is possible for studs to get damaged, they do need to be checked for any thing that might make them unsafe.

All they say on shin guards is that they must be made of a suitable material and provide
Reasonable protection and be covered by socks.

I saw this on MOTD, and I cant understand the decision to call this a dive.

I agree. I went into the match topics on other forums fully expecting to defend the referee as usual, but this was very difficult to do so. Yeah, sure he did the 'flinging' action as he went to ground, however.

1. He gets clipped on the run, stays on his feet.
2. He gets clattered by Cahill, but still manages to get his pass off before he goes to ground.
3. He doesn't appeal, his eyes are directly on where his pass (which is a great one) has gone to and he's up immediately.

I think this one is a case of blowing the whistle too early tbh and not waiting to see what happens.

On that note, it was a very good incident to wind fans up about VAR, lots of comments (right or wrongly) asking how that wasn't a clear and obvious mistake to be pulled up and corrected. But quite a lot of bemused comments since it looked a fairly legitimate goal to be disallowed over something that a lot perceived to be an incorrect call anyway.

Jobs for the boys, this VAR. 4 weeks in and "getting the right decision" (from week 1) is clearly and obviously secondary to clearly and obviously not overruling their fellow employees.

Jobs for the boys, this VAR. 4 weeks in and "getting the right decision" (from week 1) is clearly and obviously secondary to clearly and obviously not overruling their fellow employees.
Paul Tierney staring at a pen from 8 yards yesterday. VAR didn't have the heart to effectively make PT look like a plonker
VAR has massively changed the dynamics of refereeing in so many respects its impossible to unpick
I thought the PGMOL would do a better job at implementing the protocol, but they've gone too far with the 'high bar'. I'm not entirely sure there is a bar anymore. It was a disaster before it reached and I'm completely sick of hearing about it, now that it has

Paul Tierney staring at a pen from 8 yards yesterday. VAR didn't have the heart to effectively make PT look like a plonker
VAR has massively changed the dynamics of refereeing in so many respects its impossible to unpick
I thought the PGMOL would do a better job at implementing the protocol, but they've gone too far with the 'high bar'. I'm not entirely sure there is a bar anymore. It was a disaster before it reached and I'm completely sick of hearing about it, now that it has

The bar is so high that it's a Mars Bar.

I'll see myself out...

“Innocent” player gets cautioned for diving for second week in a row?

Collateral damage.

Maybe it’ll help drive it out. It’s a hardline approach I take on this, and I don’t expect everyone to agree with me but I’ll stand by it.

Jack Grealish has 100% theatrically flung himself to the floor so I'm limited in my sympathy

Worst refereeing performance I have seen by far. And we spent 3 years in the Championship! He was inconsistant throughout, poor decision making, card friendly (although the 2 he did get right were both for Trezeguet, no complaints about the red) and made a rod for his own back. No doubt if he used VAR protocol correctly then the goal is given. On balance of things it was more of a penalty than a dive, although it would of been harsh as the main infringment was the shove in the back from Zaha who could of got away with murder yesterday. Not that I'm bitter at all......

Back