A&H

From the gym to the field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Hamilton

RefChat Addict
Observer/Tutor
No game this morning so went to the gym. Just starting my 3rd set of reps on the first weight machine (after 45 minutes hard cardio) and the phone rings. A referee's car has broken down, can I cover? Sunday League Premier Division game.

Made it there in 30 minutes, was all friends with probably 20 out of 22 players with 5 to go (other 2 had been cautioned for cynical late challenges). Then I gave a penalty. Now as penalty awards go, it was cut and dried. Arms out at shoulder level, ball played from around 9 yards away, arm flicks to make contact and divert the ball.

Last 5 minutes? Harder work than the other 85 put together and only a few players wanted to talk to me at the end. Funniest thing was a player screaming in my face from less than a yard away that I was "disrespecting him". I suppressed my laughter and completed his caution for delaying the restart.

Love refereeing :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
You were cautioning him for C4 and he then screamed in your face that you were disrespecting him?

Sod being amused.......nailed on dissent caution........plus double the disciplinary points for a RESPECT offence.

I would have been far more amused as he trudged off the pitch, complaining bitterly and endlessly about how you had dissed him even further by sending him off.........

You were cautioning him for C4 and he then screamed in your face that you were disrespecting him?

Sod being amused.......nailed on dissent caution........plus double the disciplinary points for a RESPECT offence.

I would have been far more amused as he trudged off the pitch, complaining bitterly and endlessly about how you had dissed him even further by sending him off.........
Thanks for your feedback

This is where @Brian Hamilton 's experience of managing difficult games came into affect IMO. To go for a double caution, yes it can be justified perhaps, but is it expected? Two offenses at the same time, same affect is a caution. Would a red card of helped or hindered his match control?

By the sounds of it I think it was handled well.

This is where @Brian Hamilton 's experience of managing difficult games came into affect IMO. To go for a double caution, yes it can be justified perhaps, but is it expected? Two offenses at the same time, same affect is a caution. Would a red card of helped or hindered his match control?

Absolutely irrelevant whether it was expected or not.....99% of disciplinary sanctions are unexpected if you believe the players!

A player getting cautioned for one offence who then chooses to scream in a referees face is a 100% stonewall 2nd caution.....to do anything else is a cop out. And does nobody any favours.....

Surprised that an apparently experienced referee and assessor would so easily dismiss their obligations to the game.

Absolutely irrelevant whether it was expected or not.....99% of disciplinary sanctions are unexpected if you believe the players!

A player getting cautioned for one offence who then chooses to scream in a referees face is a 100% stonewall 2nd caution.....to do anything else is a cop out. And does nobody any favours.....

Surprised that an apparently experienced referee and assessor would so easily dismiss their obligations to the game.
If you had been there, you would understand better. Again, thanks for your feedback

Experience kicked in, correct. I had a number of other situations in this game where my winning smile and persuasive personality won the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's easy to critise if you weren't there.

If you haven't experienced the pressures of the referee in question you can have an opinion, we all do this is what makes life great, then in my opinion you can't really offer advise or critique.

It's easy to critise if you weren't there.

If you haven't experienced the pressures of the referee in question you can have an opinion, we all do this is what makes life great, then in my opinion you can't really offer advise or critique.

No, it's not easy. It takes years of experience to picture a scene as described and read between the lines to determine a probable solution.

However in this case it's quite clear what has happened....player is getting cautioned for c4...doesn't like it and thinks that if he screams in a referees face he might be able to intimidate them into a different course of action......and has walked away from his behaviour without further sanction....reinforcing in his mind, and in those who witnessed it, the idea that it is acceptable to scream in referees faces. And will continue to do so until he meets a referee that deals with it.

No, it's not easy. It takes years of experience to picture a scene as described and read between the lines to determine a probable solution.

However in this case it's quite clear what has happened....player is getting cautioned for c4...doesn't like it and thinks that if he screams in a referees face he might be able to intimidate them into a different course of action......and has walked away from his behaviour without further sanction....reinforcing in his mind, and in those who witnessed it, the idea that it is acceptable to scream in referees faces. And will continue to do so until he meets a referee that deals with it.
He picked on the wrong referee to intimidate :)

By the way did I mention he was about 9 inches shorter than me? See why I was amused.

can anybody else see a resemblance from @Padfoot

apoligies if im being shrewd here but this has just made me laugh! [USER=60]@Padfoot
is the screaming player ... @Brian Hamilton is still the referee ... 'thanks for your feedback' 'bla bla bla bla shout shout shout' 'again, thanks for your feedback'

ahhhh ... @Padfoot ... as you quite rightly say ... that's a red card! could you please leave the vicinity of the post! ;)[/USER]
Very good Charlie. I've blown the final whistle on this one ;)

Glad everyone finds such a blatant disregard for the LOTG from someone who is charged with the development of referees to be a matter for frivolity.

I just find it incredibly sad and it's no wonder we have a rising level of assaults in the game.....

And of course, BH isn't going to take anything on board......his arrogance is overwhelming.....but not at all surprised....that's the way the game is going.....blind leading the blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back