A&H

Fulham v Aston Villa - Play Off Final

alexgr

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Lots of talking points so far, 60 minutes in. Fulham player could have been off for a stamp on Grealish, nothing given despite Anthony Taylor and Kevin Friend (4th official) being right on top of the incident.

Grealish booked early in the second half, lots calling for a dismissal. Any thoughts for those who have seen?

EDIT: Odoi just sent off for Fulham, two yellows - both seem good calls from Taylor.

The Referee Store
Second yellow was Red all day long, high, dangerous! Grealish shouldn’t be on pitch too, shocking challenge. Unsure of the stamp, looks bad on replay but I’m not sure how meant it was!!

@Sheffields Finest Agree actually on red, second challenge could easily have been red, not sure why they're complaining.

Stamp is an odd one - not sure how deliberate it is, but does that really matter? Surely it poses a threat to Grealish's safety and thus should be a dismissal?

Fair result in the end, Best team won. I’d give Taylor a 6/10...should have been 2/3 straight reds!

I've commented previously, that Kevin Firend said to us at a recent Q&A that the 4th Official's priority is to watch the game and assist the referee.
I'm not sure what he was watching from 10 yards when Grealish was stood on
a) It goes to show that when we as referee's speak openly, we leave ourselves wide open
b) There's something ingrained in the psychology of assistants which holds them back from making big calls. It's akin to a co-pilot not questioning the captain when the latter points the nose towards the ocean

Last edited:
I only caught the 2nd half & thought mr Taylor did ok, tough game to ref very tough, champions league final was a doddle compared to that.

I have feeling Greelish will be in the premier league next season anyway.

Mustard the boy is.

I have feeling Greelish will be in the premier league next season anyway.

Mustard the boy is.
He needs some studs in his boots, spent more time diving about and play acting to be a consistent Prem player. Has talent but knows the dark arts!!

Thing that gets me about Grealish is those low socks - has he really got shinpads that offer protection?!

He’s also got one of the worst mullets in football, I mean take a long hard look at his hair & then imagine it on yourself.

Natural talent runs past people for fun very Wilshire esc, he’ll be a regular for England one day mark my words... if he doesn’t feck it all up of course.

Friend as 4th blocks his view of proceedings when holding up the electronic board, he barely raises it above his neck, and its lazy and gives off a cba impression
Not convincing as a referee either, and does not give the impression that he could be counted on to have input as a 4th on an on the field point of play

And a quick google image search can back up my ramblings....

Three examples of lazy and one simple example of how smartly it should be done. Basics, do the simple things and the harder things look after themselves

Whose input on a SFP tackle are you going to buy into? Example Friend or the random dude at the bottom? The impression Friend gives off is whats for my dinner

Attachments

• IMG_6357.JPG
    IMG_6357.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6358.JPG
    IMG_6358.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6359.JPG
    IMG_6359.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6360.JPG
    IMG_6360.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Second yellow was Red all day long, high, dangerous! Grealish shouldn’t be on pitch too, shocking challenge. Unsure of the stamp, looks bad on replay but I’m not sure how meant it was!!
Taylor obviously didn't have anybody in his ear telling him to swap his yellow for Grealish to a red.
At least he didn't write on the yellow card first.

I fitted ducting for 15 years and eventually retired to a sales role however, a few years ago I had an operation on the top of my Humerous bone to relieve a trapped nerve in my rotator cuff. Surgeon said it was a condition they see in older swimmers involving front crawl and breast stroke. I’d love to see the FAs risk assessment on this.

I agree with both those - Odoi's second yellow could and probably should have been a straight red for me and Grealish should have been straight off for the foul where he was cautioned.

Back