A&H

Funny one yesterday...

Hartlepool_ref

I was reffing an under 14's cup game yesterday. The home team were two divisions above away and it certainly showed - the score was 5-0 after 20 mins.
It was a quiet game with not much to give and most decisions were going for the away team. Then the ball went out for a throw in to home - que an away parent screaming it should have been thier throw. This is literally the first time anyone had made a peep from the touch line.
I ignored it, untill he muttered "useless ****er". The ball was in play so I had to wait for it to go out. before that happened though the groundsman who's about 6'6 and built like a brick sh*t house says "there's only one ****er here mate and that's you - say another word to that ref and I'll kick you're head in !"
I had no idea who this man was, I can only assume he's a referee and wanted to dish out some moral support !
It's fair to say the parent sh*t himself and cries to me saying the big scary man has just threatened him. I simply replied that I didn't hear it as I was too busy making sure I give throwins the correct way. I also warned him of his future conduct and he walked away with his tail between his legs.
I never got to find out who my mysterious supporter was as he buggered off before the game finished.

But my question is - would you's have done anything different ?

The Referee Store
I can only assume he's a referee and wanted to dish out some moral support

I hope that no referee would act in such a manner.

The potential problem is that your 6'6 new best mate might actually go ahead and kick his head in! Although neither is acceptable there is a strong argument to say that the threat of physical violence is a more serious offence that the initial name calling. You may have put the spectator in his place but your post does not indicate that you admonished the groundsman in any way. I suggest a quiet but firm word with both sets of coaches/managers. Make them aware of what happened, stress that you expect them to keep their "supporters" in order and that you'll take action if there is any sign of a recurrence. I don't think that referees, coaches or supporters want this at an U14 game and you should nip it in the bud before it escalates.

Interesting that parents and supporters feel safe abusing a referee who cannot retaliate, very brave behaviour. They get an unexpected warning to behave said with the subtly of a brick and the same warrior is crying out for the referee for support :) good luck with that mate.

Concentrate on FOP. If people want to throw handbags on side that's their business.

If it kicks off then it's your problem.

If you do want to act, then a simple 'Put your handbags down and watch your language please in front of the kids playing please everyone' should shame them enough into being decent human beings

Back