A&H

Games Over Summer

YorkieRef

Evening all,
I completed my BRC over Easter (Passing comfortably) and then the SCW a few weeks later. Unfortunately due to timing and several other reasons I won't be able to get any of the 6 games in this season.

How easy is it to try and get games in over summer? (Through competitions and what not) I'd preferably like to get them done before I move to University in September.

Cheers

The Referee Store
You will find very little in the way of 90 minute 11v11 games (the type of games which qualify for your 6) between the end of May and the 2nd week of August, in fact no football of this type is supposed to be played in June at all. In July there will only be non-competitive games (friendlies) but teams will not be asking unknown referees to be involved in them.

This is one of the reasons why I've always argued against the timing of these courses in May, June and July as there is no football to be refereed and some candidates lose interest.

In July there will only be non-competitive games (friendlies) but teams will not be asking unknown referees to be involved in them.

This is one of the reasons why I've always argued against the timing of these courses in May, June and July as there is no football to be refereed and some candidates lose interest.

In my area, ALL (non-competitive and competitive) games are appointed to by the appointments secretary of their respective leagues. Thus, teams asking unknown referees will not be a problem - the appointment secretary will appoint and the teams won't have a say in the matter. I feel the timing of the courses is good, as it gives new referees a platform to start refereeing and progress/develop, in a non-competitive environment during the summer. In addition, more mentors are available during the summer, and there is more mentor coverage of the 6 games - vital for the new course structure.

Yorkieref - you mention that you are going to university in September. Are you aware you can referee where you reside currently, and at university as well? All you have to do is affiliate to the county your university is in, and contact any respective appointment secretaries. You can referee Saturdays, Sundays, Midweek and also university games - good beer money, and vital if you want to progress up the refereeing ladder

I'll try and see if I can get some games however they come. Also, I don't think (Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone who knows) that mentors are there in your first 6 in Sheffield and Hallamshire. I seem to remember hearing that during the course.

Yes I am aware of that. In fact I asked specifically that question as I wanted to make sure I could ref both at Uni and at home. And speaking of University Games, how do you go about refereeing them? I know theres a BUCS (I think its called that:confused:) league, but that's about it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am not aware about that area, but if not, that seems disappointing. Your first 6 games are some of the most daunting / important games, and thus you should be mentored on them. The FA agrees - the new basic referees course states that referees MUST be mentored at least 2 in their first 6 games.

Universities will have referee coordinators. Once at your university, get in contact with the Sports Department / Chariman of the Football Club / Local RA, fill them in with your details and they will help from there. As well as BUCS, you also have inter-departmental and inter-hall games at selected universities.

I know, that's exactly what I was thinking. Like I said I'm not 100% sure. And I will do, the more experience I can get the better it will be.

I done my course over easter too so i'm in the same predicament. What is the SCW yorkieref?

I have managed to get on to a junior summer league (7v7) so although these games don't count towards my 5 games in 5 months it will get me used to being in the middle, people looking at me, parents Moaning etc. i am quite worried actually especially as they have slightly different features ie the retreat rule, all free kicks are direct, no offside etc. this might sound like a stupid question but is it still 10 yards on free kicks etc scene as the pitch is smaller etc? Any help and tips on stopping the nerves would be welcome too!

I'll try and see if I can get some games however they come. Also, I don't think (Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone who knows) that mentors are there in your first 6 in Sheffield and Hallamshire. I seem to remember hearing that during the course.

Yes I am aware of that. In fact I asked specifically that question as I wanted to make sure I could ref both at Uni and at home. And speaking of University Games, how do you go about refereeing them? I know theres a BUCS (I think its called that:confused:) league, but that's about it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BUCS games are either appointmetn by people in SU or local FA. Also depending on what standard your university is at will depend if your allowed to referee the higher teams, my uni has a inter university league that its also possibility to referee on. Once you know what uni your attending get in touch with your RDO to see if you can get in contact with the RDO of the county you'll be attending uni in.

I done my course over easter too so i'm in the same predicament. What is the SCW yorkieref?

I have managed to get on to a junior summer league (7v7) so although these games don't count towards my 5 games in 5 months it will get me used to being in the middle, people looking at me, parents Moaning etc. i am quite worried actually especially as they have slightly different features ie the retreat rule, all free kicks are direct, no offside etc. this might sound like a stupid question but is it still 10 yards on free kicks etc scene as the pitch is smaller etc? Any help and tips on stopping the nerves would be welcome too!
Rules are different at junior level. Speak to the managers before the game of both clubs at the same time. Tell them that you're just there to make sure that the kids enjoy their football. With regards to free kick distances, I change it depending on the size of the pitch. Some 7v7 will be quite big, some are small, I usually go for about 6 yards, but the main thing is just be consistent for all. Try not to get in the way because that's what I've found is the biggest problem :)

thanks yorkieref i didnt think of the safeguarding!

Again thanks hullref i'll try to be consistant with it! Hopefully i'll have as much fun as the kids!

Back