A&H

Games seem to fly by

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3014

I’m a new ref & obviously apart from the million and one things I’m finding out week on week one of the stand out things I’ve found so far is how quickly games go, I’ll look at my watch & have 5 mins on there before you know it it’s half time.

Not sure if this is adrenaline because it’s new to me but I’m amazed how quickly a game goes.

Anybody else found this at all?

The Referee Store
Usually the first few minutes fly by for me because both teams try to burst out of the blocks at 100% speed. Then they inevitably get gassed and it settles down a bit!

The only games that drag on for me are those horror shows where both teams want to play route one football. I'm gassed for those matches, and it just isn't fun, so the clock takes forever to get over with.

For me every game has gone so quickly, I’ve never once thought this is dragging or lost interest, I’ve been knackered don’t get me wrong but if I watch 90mins at home on the box & conpare it to when I’m in the middle it’s completely different, it feels like my games are over so quickly.

Depends on the game - poor quality, very one sided, awful weather, moaning players - the list is endless - on those occasions the time CAN drag!

My first season or two (maybe 35 whistles) was very different from the 3 seasons since. I was way too emotionally involved, more like a touchline prowling manager than an official. I was kicking every ball, and it really hurt when there was unsporting stuff - I got angry and disappointed easily, to the point of making a few rash decisions ( in one seniors game in my first season I was so annoyed by the captain, i booked him and gave a Dfk against him while his teammate was wating to take a throw "you can't do that" ..."i know but i am!"...

It's like anything - if there is plenty going on to keep you from looking at your watch, time flies by. You keep checking it, and time s l o w s d o w n.
EDIT: Even worse, if you find your mind wandering off to things nothing to do with the game at all - what's on TV tonight, what have I got for dinner, I wonder where I can get a size 8 Torx screwdriver, then you know the match is going to last an age. Be careful, as that's where you will end up missing KMI's.

Games just breeze by, maybe it’s because I’m enthusiastic & want to get the calls right & im concentrating 100%, maybe as time goes on & the novelty wears off maybe 90mins will feel like 90mins.

But as it stands I could ref 4-5 games a week it wouldn’t bother me.

You keep checking it, and time s l o w s d o w n.

The players experience that quite a lot in my experience.

"Hey ref, how long left?"

"Five minutes."

"how long now?"

"Five minutes."

"You said that five minutes ago!"

Usually when it's a nippy game and a tight lead. Makes me laugh.

How long before someone patents DroneRef Cams....

You could be your own VAR and check your own decisions from the comfort of the car!! .....

How long before someone patents DroneRef Cams....

You could be your own VAR and check your own decisions from the comfort of the car!! .....
I thought at first you were referring to the original meaning of drone - a referee going on, and on, and on, and on... :D

Back