A&H

General Play - positioning

Bantam Ron

Level 7 Referee
I've no assistants and in order to get a reasonable chance of spotting off sides, particularly in long ball games, I find myself much wider in general play than refs I see on the TV. Is this a position that other grassroots refs find themselves in? Other than remaining out wide what other tips have people got for spotting offsides in general play (long ball/through ball etc)

The Referee Store
Personally I wouldn't go overboard to see offsides from side on as you won't be in the best position for fouls which is your main concern. Also will tire very very quickly

And being wide is no bad thing. The refs you see on TV have two professional assistants with them and the game is very different so position is slightly different too. You will often see pgmol refs drop more central when play is out wide because in the pro game players tend to utilise the wide flanks much more and move play out quicker

I would say get wide when you can. It's a positive thing. But don't over do yourself for offsides

If its obvious from your normal position, give it, if its marginal, let play continue

Some refs will state in pre match with skippers that there are no linos and they will give what they can but will have a low tollerance for dissent on offside decisions

If you get lip for decisions you make for offsides from players then make it clear to them that there are no assistants because they don't have enough players and you can only give what's obvious. If they don't shut up, in the book they go

Sometimes it is good to go and watch a game with a L4/3 ref in the middle. Then you can see their positioning etc and it will be more related to your game, rather than the TV refs. Don't get me wrong, watching refs on the TV is great for technical aspects of your game, but for some things it may be a bit better to watch a lower level game:)

I've no assistants and in order to get a reasonable chance of spotting off sides, particularly in long ball games, I find myself much wider in general play than refs I see on the TV. Is this a position that other grassroots refs find themselves in? Other than remaining out wide what other tips have people got for spotting offsides in general play (long ball/through ball etc)
When you say "WIDER" Ron ....... do you mean wider than the centre circle Wide ? or proper touchline wide ?as I have never experienced the view of an offside from out there :D

Evening chaps.

Thanks for all your advice which has been really useful. I'm determined to take it onboard tomorrow and get a little closer to the action where possible. Still think I'll be on the shoulder of the left/right backs for part of the game as I feel I'm doing 3 peoples job but with time I'll hopefully have the confidence to give decisions from the centre of the pitch.

Cheers again

Hi, In the last two games i was refereeing, I have found myself in a goal/no goal situation resulting from a corner, one goal I gave and the other I didnt. I'm not going to lie but i wasnt 100% sure on either of them. Would it be acceptable to change my corner positioning to be alot more level with the goal line from a corner, rather than watching from near the 18?

Cheers.

Absolutely. That is the best position when you have no assistants or club assistants. Always angle wider towards the goal line.

Back