A&H

Getting into lining

The Referee Store
Hi Reuben.

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Secondly... read my post below... (edited as I mis-read the question)

I hope this helps

Last edited:
@DB ... he said he is a level 7 referee ... ya silly sausage ...

@Reuben Watt excuse our illiterate friend here, its very early in the morning! :p:D

to become an assistant referee you can sign up to many local Saturday OA leagues (@Brian Hamilton is usually a good source for the right contacts etc - I can only help in Essex) they usually seek assistance from anything from level 5 to level 7 referees to run the lines in these games.

to become a professional AR, you then need to make it to (I believe) National league level referee ... from there you either pursue the referee route to make it to the top, or choose the AR route to make it to the top ...

I hope this helps?

have you been refereeing long?

Reactions: DB
Note to self.... No talking until at least 08:30. I'm not used to such a lie-in. Lol

I'll amend my first post.

To run the line on the supply league, you need to be a level 7 (which you are) and you need to have completed the FA fitness test held by your County FA. I'm sure it's the same across the country but in Cornwall you can officiate at one step higher and line two steps higher. Then it's a case of working your way up the ladder.

As above - working at the best level you can as a Lino will give you access to better referees and your learning will accelerate as you pick up hints and tips.

I was speaking to a new FL AR recently and he said he had to make the choice, referee at conference level and try to get to FL or join FL as an AR. Once that commitment made, not allowed to change mind and "drop back" to lower level middles - or at least it would be frowned upon if he did.

Sorry I took so long to reply! I didn't get a notification Haha. How do you go on a fitness course and what does the course entitle?

Note to self.... No talking until at least 08:30. I'm not used to such a lie-in. Lol

I'll amend my first post.

To run the line on the supply league, you need to be a level 7 (which you are) and you need to have completed the FA fitness test held by your County FA. I'm sure it's the same across the country but in Cornwall you can officiate at one step higher and line two steps higher. Then it's a case of working your way up the ladder.

Sorry I took so long aha! I didn't get a notification of your reply. I have been refereeing for about a year and a half
@DB ... he said he is a level 7 referee ... ya silly sausage ...

@Reuben Watt excuse our illiterate friend here, its very early in the morning! :p:D

to become an assistant referee you can sign up to many local Saturday OA leagues (@Brian Hamilton is usually a good source for the right contacts etc - I can only help in Essex) they usually seek assistance from anything from level 5 to level 7 referees to run the lines in these games.

to become a professional AR, you then need to make it to (I believe) National league level referee ... from there you either pursue the referee route to make it to the top, or choose the AR route to make it to the top ...

I hope this helps?

have you been refereeing long?

Back