A&H

Getting promoted

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
You also need to take into account 4(e), which states ...

(e) A Level 7 Referee must officiate as a Referee in a minimum of 20 games in one registration period before applying for promotion. No Affiliated Association may impose any other qualification periods which cause delayed passage through the promotion pyramid.

That means you need to referee 20 games between now and when your CFA's promotion application windows closes, which seems to vary between the end of December and the end of February.

Personally I would advise applying for promotion as soon as you are able to. Not to help you climb the levels, but more that you will become a better referee due to getting tips and advice from observers.

I’m not sure I’ll be able to complete 20 by December. If I don’t complete them by the date, do they carry over to the next date or will I have to do a whole other 20 if that makes sense? Thank you!

Technically you need to referee 20 games between 1st March and 28th (or 29th) February, but I know some CFAs don't always rigidly apply that rule. They don't carry over, you need to complete 20 inside that period.

Ah, I see, I should be able to do 20 by that point, I need to try to find games midweek which will definitely help although they’ll have to be fairly close so I can get there. Thanks again!

Hi, I’m one game away from completing my 5 ‘assessed’ games before I get promoted to Level 7. I’m about to turn 18 and was wondering if there are any tips to help me get promoted through the ranks quickest. I see CORE is good for this, but I’m unsure on the ways referees get chosen for this.

Thanks!
I don't know about the promotion pathway and the process where you are but I commend you for having the ambition and from I have read from you so far you have the right attitude too. Keep it up. There is already a lot of good advice here. Listen to and appreciate everyone who is willing to help. Its up to you to pick and follow the right advice.

Last edited:
Thank you! I didn’t know if I’d enjoy refereeing when I was contemplating taking it up but now I really want to progress and do it for a long time so I’ll definitely take the advice!

Hi, I’m one game away from completing my 5 ‘assessed’ games before I get promoted to Level 7. I’m about to turn 18 and was wondering if there are any tips to help me get promoted through the ranks quickest. I see CORE is good for this, but I’m unsure on the ways referees get chosen for this.

Thanks!
My only advice would be to stay away from double jumps. Take one step at a time.

I think it's been mentioned before but doing some games as an AR will benefit you. You'll work with higher level and/or more experienced referees and can basically spend 90 minutes learning from them (whilst doing your own job as well). Even their prematch briefs will benefit you as it's not just what they expect of you, but it's also what you will expect of others during the games you'll do in the future.

I think it's been mentioned before but doing some games as an AR will benefit you. You'll work with higher level and/or more experienced referees and can basically spend 90 minutes learning from them (whilst doing your own job as well). Even their prematch briefs will benefit you as it's not just what they expect of you, but it's also what you will expect of others during the games you'll do in the future.
I lined on Step 5/6 leagues for my first season. I got exposure to listening to the Level 4's being assessed/observed and it really gets you in the right frame of mind for your own observations. Albeit at a lower level.

I’ve spoken to my tutor and I’ll be applying to run the line on the Anglian Com Premier League. Thanks for your reply!:)

I lined on Step 5/6 leagues for my first season. I got exposure to listening to the Level 4's being assessed/observed and it really gets you in the right frame of mind for your own observations. Albeit at a lower level.
I’m going to apply to be AR in the Anglian Com Premier League at my CPD event on Sunday. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I have to complete 5 games before I get promoted to Level 7. I plan to join my local RA soon. I know this is a silly question, but should I buy a different colour kit when working as a team of 3 in case the others use another colour? How do I go about joining the supply league for ARs? I want to do a few more youth games before I ref OA to get a little more experience with game management. Thanks again!

Do you mean you've done your qualification and are a newly qualified trainee referee and you need to complete 5 games to no longer be classed as a trainee ref? It isn't a promotion. Level 7 is the starting point in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back