A&H

goalie cautioned for handling deliberate pass from team mate

happy whistler

Level 7 Referee
My son came back from refereeing his game today. Defender passed ball back to goalie but ball may have been going into net for own goal, keeper dived to palm away .My son cautioned him and said only cautioned as ball may have been going wide and that he would have red carded if he was sure going into net.
I do not think this was an offence for which yellow card can be given. Is this correct ?
If card should not have been shown can he rescind caution and not submit it, or does he have to submit to cfa explaining situation ?
Advice on this please

The Referee Store
Your son has made a mistake, it is always just an IDFK for this offence as specified in the lotg. Although that said, if the keeper dived to save it, perhaps just allowing play to go on maybe have been the correct course of action. Guess you have to see it.

If the ball is going in is that not DOGSO?
No. The keeper doesn't commit an offence by handling the ball in his area, the offence occurs because it was passed to him by a team mate, because you are stopping to penalise the offence you can't possibly send him off for DOGSO-H. This came up at an RA meeting in Sheffield and about 65-75% of the room said DOGSO-H :devil: :)

Let's look at the LOTG for this one:

p119:
Outside his own penalty area, the goalkeeper has the same restrictions
on handling the ball as any other player. Inside his own penalty area, the
goalkeeper cannot be guilty of a handling offence incurring a direct free kick
or any misconduct related to handling the ball. He can, however, be guilty of
several handling offences that incur an indirect free kick

This came up at an RA meeting in Sheffield and about 65-75% of the room said DOGSO-H :devil: :)

That's quite concerning.

I would have thought the keeper can handle it in terms of if the ball is going in he can palm it away... But he absolutely cannot pick it up

I would have thought the keeper can handle it in terms of if the ball is going in he can palm it away... But he absolutely cannot pick it up

NO NO NO

The offence is the goalkeeper touching the ball with a hand...that includes picking it up, palming it away, using a fingertip to touch the ball etc.

It's quite a worry that so many referees can't understand what is a very simple part of the Laws

It's never really happened in any of my games and its been a long time since I've reviewed that section of the rules. I know now haha.

mod edit

Last edited by a moderator:
No. The keeper doesn't commit an offence by handling the ball in his area, the offence occurs because it was passed to him by a team mate, because you are stopping to penalise the offence you can't possibly send him off for DOGSO-H. This came up at an RA meeting in Sheffield and about 65-75% of the room said DOGSO-H :devil: :)

Actually he does but it is a technical offence not a penal offence. It is not an offence to pass the ball back to your keeper, the offence occurs when he handles it ! A yellow card for unsporting behaviour could still be applicable ! I would also be worried if 65% of our RA thought DOGSO-H !

A caution cannot be given to a GK for handling within his/her own area. It's explicitly written into the Laws on p123 of 14/15.

handles the ball to prevent an opponent gaining possession or developing an attack (other than the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

So... no caution, no dismissal for a GK handling within his own area.

No, that simply means that the goal keeper can't be cautioned for deliberate hand ball to break up an attack if he is within his area!
If he knows the ball has been deliberately passed back by a team mate and he 'unsportingly' handles it he can be cautioned !

Then please explain what "unsporting handling" is... I'd love to hear the reasoning and logic behind it. :)

Back