A&H

Goalkeeper eligiblity

Kevin Dale

Grassroots Referee
Hi,
Just had a cup match which ended in a draw. So dreaded penalty shootout. We are wanted to swap our goalkeeper with an out fielder who was on the field of play when the whistle went. The ref agreed with me that because she was on the field we could do this.
Now when we looked up the specifics we could only find that a gk when injured could be substituted for another gk from off the field. Not anything to say who could go in goal from the field of play.
This sort of thing would rarely happen outside the lower grassroots teams.
So is there a specific rule or just an interpretation please let me know your thoughts

The Referee Store
Absolutely fine. Won’t come under the Law(s) around substitutions as one isn’t being made.

Law 3.4:

Any of the players may change places with the goalkeeper if:
• the referee is informed before the change is made
• the change is made during a stoppage in play

Was the substitution made after the final whistle went?
A change in who is GK is not a substitution when made from a field player.

Thanks
That would cover it then just an unusual situation.
i don’t know it is that unusual in lower level play where teams have multiple GKs and they also play on the field. When I coached younger kids, I would rotate GKs during KFTM so no one kid had all the pressure.

Hi,
Just had a cup match which ended in a draw. So dreaded penalty shootout. We are wanted to swap our goalkeeper with an out fielder who was on the field of play when the whistle went. The ref agreed with me that because she was on the field we could do this.
Now when we looked up the specifics we could only find that a gk when injured could be substituted for another gk from off the field. Not anything to say who could go in goal from the field of play.
This sort of thing would rarely happen outside the lower grassroots teams.
So is there a specific rule or just an interpretation please let me know your thoughts
Law 10.3 covers this very directly. Not sure if I am missing something from your post or you have missed the point in law 10.3 under "During penalties (penalty shoot-out)" ("During kicks from the penalty mark" for older versions)

"An eligible player may change places with the goalkeeper"

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies.
Yes I think the two laws above cover it.
As a ref I’ve never come across this situation. But as a manager we do rotate gk in matches normally at halftime. And it will likely happen again for us if we go to penalties. So is good to know the appropriate laws.

If this thread needs marking solved then I’m happy for that to happen

Thanks for all your replies.
Yes I think the two laws above cover it.
As a ref I’ve never come across this situation. But as a manager we do rotate gk in matches normally at halftime. And it will likely happen again for us if we go to penalties. So is good to know the appropriate laws.

If this thread needs marking solved then I’m happy for that to happen
When you say swap… are the competition rules proper subs or return subs, was there something specific in the competition rules?

If return subs we used to have competition rules that said the team on the field at 90 mins had to be the 11 for penalties (to stop confusing subs and help a lone referee manage). Though that has changed since;)

Back