A&H

Goalkeeper handball outside the box

Hmm, I do this anyway, but I agree with the principle. I've always thought SPA was meant to cover careless fouls, that you wouldn't caution for, but now you can because SPA.

If a player is a doing a swipe/trip/pull whatever off the ball or he's completely beaten and is yanking them back that is one of the easiest cautions you can do IMO. It is surprising if that's not the norm in England?
Because it is not explictly supported in law (it can be interpreted as lack of respect for the game), a pull of the shirt in deep central midfield is rarely going to be SPA. It is given at the top, but from my experience it is not as common in lower levels of English football.

The Referee Store
Because that is what law says ...

It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball

Can't really be more clear than that. In making your body bigger you are deemed to have intentionally handled the ball.
Nah. What he said. It doesn't matter whether it was accidental, even clearly accidental, if the arm is in an unnatural position, the handball is usually an offence.

Reactions: JH
Could it not be seen as unsporting behavior since it's a deliberate act to try and stop the ball going in the net?

Not in the incident being discussed, the ball is heading towards the corner flag.
Yes, but the keeper didn't know that!

For what it's worth, I'd still caution for unsporting behaviour - it's unsporting of the keeper to deliberately handle the ball outside of the penalty area in a (mistaken) attempt to prevent a goal. The fact that he had his bearings all wrong shouldn't completely excuse him from the intent behind his actions.

Yes, but the keeper didn't know that!

For what it's worth, I'd still caution for unsporting behaviour - it's unsporting of the keeper to deliberately handle the ball outside of the penalty area in a (mistaken) attempt to prevent a goal. The fact that he had his bearings all wrong shouldn't completely excuse him from the intent behind his actions.

How is it unsporting for the goal keeper to think he is inside his area when he wasn't?

How is it unsporting for the goal keeper to think he is inside his area when he wasn't?
For the record, when I mentioned cautioning for lack of respect for the game, I was working with the premise that the GK knows he is outside his area and still deliberately handles to try to prevent a goal.

Reactions: ARF
For the record, when I mentioned cautioning for lack of respect for the game, I was working with the premise that the GK knows he is outside his area and still deliberately handles to try to prevent a goal.
Ah, I thought when the OP said the keeper lost their bearings they meant that the keeper thought they were in the area, rather than the keeper knew they were out of the area but decided to handle the ball anyway.

Nah. What he said. It doesn't matter whether it was accidental, even clearly accidental, if the arm is in an unnatural position, the handball is usually an offence.

IFAB completely bollixed the drafting. I read it as (except for the attacker exception) that handling must be deliberate, and the "usually" list are things that are considered deliberate. E.g., when the arm is in an unnatural position, it has been deliberately out there, so the handling is deliberate. I think this reading makes sense, as the "usually" list is mostly what was being taught as what deliberate met before the recent law changes. But the language is just a mess, so different views are possible on this. And who knows what it will look like after this summer . . .

IFAB completely bollixed the drafting. I read it as (except for the attacker exception) that handling must be deliberate, and the "usually" list are things that are considered deliberate. E.g., when the arm is in an unnatural position, it has been deliberately out there, so the handling is deliberate. I think this reading makes sense, as the "usually" list is mostly what was being taught as what deliberate met before the recent law changes. But the language is just a mess, so different views are possible on this. And who knows what it will look like after this summer . . .

Yes, that is my view as well, they are saying that having the arm in those positions constitutes intentional handling.

He's made a 'save' for a shot going miles wide. Not unsporting behaviour as he was unaware of what he was doing according to OP and there's nothing to suggest it was a promising attack.

Free kick, no booking. Done

Not unsporting behaviour as he was unaware of what he was doing according to OP
Think the OP means that the GK had no idea that it was going wide, not that he was unaware he was outside area or unaware he handled it.

Back