A&H

Goalkeeper handball question

Ollie towns

Can someone clarify if the whole ball has to be outside the area for it to be deemed a handball by the keeper or and side of the ball past the line ?

The Referee Store
I have seen people argue about where the GK’s hand is. They are wrong. All that matters is the location of the ball. And as the
lines are part of the areas they enclose, if even a smidgen of the ball is over the PA line, the GK may use hands on the ball—even if the GK’s hands are entirely outside the PaA.

Can someone clarify if the whole ball has to be outside the area for it to be deemed a handball by the keeper or and side of the ball past the line ?
Are you a referee or assistant referee?

I ask because I’ve seen this come up with some assistant referees starting out in e.g. youth football. Some young assistants are very keen to find anything to flag. On one hand, an offense is an offense. On the other hand, in a low level youth match, no want wants millimeter decisions about kicking from the hand. “Make it obviously in the box for me.”

I ask because I’ve seen this come up with some assistant referees starting out in e.g. youth football. Some young assistants are very keen to find anything to flag. On one hand, an offense is an offense. On the other hand, in a low level youth match, no want wants millimeter decisions about kicking from the hand. “Make it obviously in the box for me.”
100%. I have never run a line as the officially appointed AR yet, but I have had NARs a couple of times. One match, it was the first time either of them had run the line and one still hadn't even got the first 5 middles in yet. Basically, I said forget keeper handballs if you aren't sure. If the ref can see it, they'll penalise it so no point ARs getting involved if they don't need to.

An easier way to understand the logic...
The ball is over the sideline with only a very small part of it still over the line (still in play). A player touches, with hand, the outer side of the ball which is clearly outside the field of play to stop it from going out of play. Is a player penalised for a touch that is outside of the field of play? That is an irrelevant question. Where the ball is (in the field of play in this case) is what's relevant.

Reactions: ARF
You don't want it in high level matches either. :D
Yikes! That looks like a brand new youth ref call!

When I was coaching my son, he got called for this (incorrectly). I explained that there was no reason to give the AR the chance to make that bad call, as that last foot didn’t matter. I also had an AR who flagged a GKfor coming out and I waved him down as it was close at best. I cheated down the next time the GK punted, and he flagged again, but the ball was clearly let go so I waved him down again (to the great dismay of the parents of the other team, of course). Talked to him at half time, and somewhere he had “learned” to watch where the GK planted his foot instead of watching the ball. :wall:

You don't want it in high level matches either. :D

Mentioned it before, but I did a game as 4th official to Andy Halliday whilst he was suspended from Premier League games due to this mistake. His pre-match instructions included something like "if you think the keeper has handled it outside the area on a fly kick try to manage it, don't be a @%$* like me and flag it 😂

Mentioned it before, but I did a game as 4th official to Andy Halliday whilst he was suspended from Premier League games due to this mistake. His pre-match instructions included something like "if you think the keeper has handled it outside the area on a fly kick try to manage it, don't be a @%$* like me and flag it 😂
It's always the best that have these experiences 😆. My dad's friend used to be a lino in the Football League (before the PL existed) and he always comes out with crazy stories like this. I struggle to believe them sometimes 😂

It's always the best that have these experiences 😆. My dad's friend used to be a lino in the Football League (before the PL existed) and he always comes out with crazy stories like this. I struggle to believe them sometimes 😂
I know Andy Halliday pretty well so trust me, that will have been exactly what he said to Rusty. ;) :D

I know Andy Halliday pretty well so trust me, that will have been exactly what he said to Rusty. ;) :D
I know, I never doubted it's authenticity for a second. I was referring to how crazy certain stories are that they are literally too stupid to be made up. It was more of a reference to the friend that I mentioned than anyone else.

Reactions: Kes
Back