A&H

Gomis Goal, offside?

Kentish Ref

Level 7 Referee
Caused mixed opinions in our house, wasn't 100% sure if I am honest.

Theoretical situation from a free kick, clips the head of the wall similarly to how far gomis was offside falls to attacker, I would say offside?

Is Gomis not interfering as being devils advocate what if defenders left it due to keeper call he is then offside, so surely he has gained an advantage from being in an offside position?
Your thoughts?

The Referee Store
So from a free kick if the wall jumps, deliberately defending the ball and it falls to an attacker that was in an offside position when the free kick was taken he is then onside?

So from a free kick if the wall jumps, deliberately defending the ball and it falls to an attacker that was in an offside position when the free kick was taken he is then onside?
Generally I think the advice is that if it hits the wall (rather than being deliberately played by someone in the wall) then an attacker standing there would be given offside.

In the actual situation this weekend, it was a clearcut onside decision and the fact that Steve Bruce doesn't understand this is somewhat scary (especially if you're a Hull Tigers fan ;):))

That was not offside as the defender deliberately played the ball (though very badly).
The OP mentioned "gaining an advantage from being in that position", which it certainly wasn't (check LOTG for those specific instances).

TL;DR What @Yacinho and @paulwfromtheden said

As I tell my assistants before the match, when discussing interfering with play. "We must not forget that there is still something called a bad pass/clearance. It doesn't automatically mean there has been an interference"

Back