A&H

Good match management or poor refereeing

Declan

Level 5 Referee
Ok so I'm going to open myself to a bashing but here goes.

Halfway through the second half yellow 7 fouls blue 6. Blue 6 reacts with a get out of my space push. Both get cautions for their nonsense. Yellow captain, who's on a caution, starts having a whinge to which I say pack it up and get on with it. Five minutes later he's back whinging about something else so I call him over and say to him ' I don't want to hear you again, I don't want to see you late in a tackle and if I have even the slightest bang on anyone your off'

Having previously sent yellow captain off in the past it wasn't a surprise to see him behave for the last 20 mins.

Was this good management or poor refereeing?

The Referee Store
The pedantic will say poor reffing, I'd say good man magement not match management.

If he was niggling and niggling, you laid the line down and challenged him to cross it.

I'd say good man management, assuming his whinging was a niggle rather than a dissent type whinge.

And of course that your threat of a second yellow and red was a serious one, which it sounds like it was.

Doesn't sound like enough in the examples to justify a second caution.

Management of dissent has a lot of variables - what was said, how it was said, how far from you it was, mood of the match, what has previously happened.....just because he's already on a card it doesn't mean you're absolutely not going to use the stepped approach. If, say, the card was dissent then stepped/roadblocks may be less likely.

Basically, unless he said something that completely crossed the line, I couldn't really say you did the wrong thing - and I'm assuming if he had definitely crossed the line you would have gotten rid of him instead of the first warning. And of course I know you

Sounds like you handled it well.

Impossible to say without knowing what was said in his whinging......if he crossed the line into dissent then it's weak refereeing....if he didn't then probably acceptable management

With Captains I remind them to set a good example, what I would like to add is that if the can't do that could they nominate someone else that bloody well can!

Back