A&H

Open Age Good match today

Trueman1991

Level 5 Referee
Had a match today which finished 5-0 to the away team. Prior to the match my mentor had sent me a few pdfs on positioning and today was the day I was going to put what I learnt into action.

I have to say it was one of my best matches to date. To be honest there werent many fouls and any that did occur I feel like my positioning was good. There was also no dissent at all in the match which I think is a first for me.

I did make one obvious mistake, defender took the goal kick and it went straight to an away attacker. The attacker passed it to a teammate who was beyond the main line of defence, I blew for offside and then immediately remembered the other defender who took the goal kick who was playing him on.

The attackers were confused, I apologised said I forgot about that defender, gave a drop ball and the home team gave it straight back to the home team. Had a joke about it with the away team at half time.

Also feel like I used the stepped approach well which calmed a player down and avoided him getting a caution for persistent fouling.

I also ran the futherest I have done across 90 minutes which I put down to me working on my positioning. I was getting tired towards the end of the match which meant my position did drop so that's definitely something for me to work on.

I normally see a lot of posts for negative matches so thought it'd be good to post for positive matches too.

I have attached the positioning pdf which was sent to me

Attachments

• positioning.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 42
The Referee Store
Well well, a ref having a good game, and reference to getting no dissent.......

Leaving that aside, sounds like you did well yip

I did something similar few seasons back, through ball, i looked along line, clearly offside, no protests......then in what seemed like the same milisecond we saw a defender out wide, prob a yard from goal line, just getting back to his feet after a slight knock..,,
I did same, held hands up, was accepted in good faith, and gave a drop ball too

Another good match again today and I was being assessed to. More dissent than yesterday but the captains kept on top of it for me and had no complaints when I sin binned a repeat offender late on.

Had three odd scenarios which I always thought were very unlikely so to get 3 in a match was quite something.
They were:
ball not leaving the area from goal kick, pulled back for a retake.
Throw in bouncing before it entered into the field of play, again pulled back for a retake.
The final one was an indirect free kick in the area for the attacking team. Defender tried to clear the ball by doing a diving header, his head was literally knee height, so I blew for dangerous play as there were three attackers around him who couldn't play the ball. Queue calls for a penalty from the away team as I blew my whistle, just because it was in the area.

All in all two really fun games to round up the weekend

Last edited:
Back