A&H

Good quiz q

The Referee Store
On a referee forum, am posting on a referee level
Not a players
:wall:

Let me make this really clear. You are yet to provide a justification for why a caution (for USB) is either necessary or justified in this case. However, if you DO caution then everyone will see this as a caution for the deliberate handball resulting in the ongoing negative outcomes described by both myself and @JamesL . So, on balance, little to gain and plenty to lose

The only benefit of debating extremely unlikely stuff, is it cements our knowledge for everyday events

:wall:

Let me make this really clear. You are yet to provide a justification for why a caution (for USB) is either necessary or justified in this case. However, if you DO caution then everyone will see this as a caution for the deliberate handball resulting in the ongoing negative outcomes described by both myself and @JamesL . So, on balance, little to gain and plenty to lose

IFAB is your best bet, rather than me I think.

The caution is not a handball offence.
As already pointed out, its usb

No.
The LOTG states when you can caution for handball (which falls under USB). This is not one of those instances.

You're not 'getting around it' by saying it's for USB not handball. That doesn't work. That's the same sort of argument people use to caution keepers for handling a backpass.

No.
The LOTG states when you can caution for handball (which falls under USB). This is not one of those instances.

You're not 'getting around it' by saying it's for USB not handball. That doesn't work. That's the same sort of argument people use to caution keepers for handling a backpass.

Go back to the op
Someone asked a question.
I happened to answer it as per the answer the question setter gave
Any issues?
Contact the question setter

Am not getting round it?
Mate, i can do whatever I like on my park

As indeed, can you.

Go back to the op
Someone asked a question.
I happened to answer it as per the answer the question setter gave
Any issues?
Contact the question setter

Am not getting round it?

As indeed, can you.

Stop trolling please, you've changed your mind more times on this than a tory MP has on Brexit. It isn't your park, it is the players' park and you are just there to provide a paid service.

The YC is not for handball though....

Its unsporting behaviour.

Someone punching the ball over the bar, is, not whats expected in a game
I wouldn't be cautioning, however it would not be wrong to caution here.
Ciley sums it up here, punching the ball over the crossbar is an unsporting act in itself.

We watched a clip (National League game) at a development group of a DHB that would have denied an OGSO had it not been for offside (forget the fact the referee got the restart wrong) we were told the referee was also marked down for not cautioning for USB, despite there being no PA or OGSO, due to the fact the player tried to prevent an OGSO.

So even though I don't particularly agree, this caution isn't unheard of.

Last edited:
Stop trolling please, you've changed your mind more times on this than a tory MP has on Brexit. It isn't your park, it is the players' park and you are just there to provide a paid service.

Changed my mind?
Thats trolling, from. You

I have no budged from, yellow card.

No changing of mind.

Out of order from a site admin to say otherwise.

And, possibly further ammunition for those in disagreement but, here is something to consider....

Through ball, flag goes up, ref blows whistle, second/split second later, defender commits clear reckless tackle.
For purpose of this post, am talking, a clear yellow card tackle.
can we yellow card him for the tackle??

and maybe before anyone answers, remind yourself, of the criteria for USB to which I appear to be pointed to by other folks posts in this thread...

"commits in a reckless manner A DIRECT FREE KICK OFFENCE

Can I yc for the op handball, yes
Can I yc for the reckless tackle which occured after the game had been stopped? yes

Does the book say I can yc for a reckless tackle after the game has stopped? No.

now apply the same principle for the op .

No one is saying you'd be wrong in law if you yellow card for OP. We are (or at least I am) saying you'd be wrong in the principle of what the USB must be used for. So if I was assessing, you would not lose marks for error in law. But you may lose marks for game/player management and/or interpretation. Just because USB is open ended, it doesn't mean any caution you put under USB is a correct application/interpretation.

But as ever, you have your mind made up and no matter what everyone says there is no changing in it.

No one is saying you'd be wrong in law if you yellow card for OP. We are (or at least I am) saying you'd be wrong in the principle of what the USB must be used for. So if I was assessing, you would not lose marks for error in law. But you may lose marks for game/player management and/or interpretation. Just because USB is open ended, it doesn't mean any caution you put under USB is a correct application/interpretation.

But as ever, you have your mind made up and no matter what everyone says there is no changing in it.

According to admin I have changed my mind a few times!
And I dont need to change my mind, I called it perfectly fine thanks
And, my original reply at least gave appreciation that what others do, might also be ok
It be great to see that level of respect in return

Ps, If I lost anything mark wise I would appeal it to the national body.

Changed my mind?
Thats trolling, from. You

I have no budged from, yellow card.

No changing of mind.

Out of order from a site admin to say otherwise.

So this is acceptable advice to people on this forum, many of whom may be new referees looking to senior referees like you for advice on how to referee the games they are appointed to?

Am not getting round it?

As indeed, can you.

It isn't your park. You can't do what you like, nor can any referees.

PS, the first sentence wasn't really a question, the answer is no … :stop:

Nothing wrong with a ref exhibiting some character
With regards to marking down for 'game management', I'd argue to be marked up on the basis that the opposition (in their ignorance of Law) could well be doing their nut in the absence of a goal

So this is acceptable advice to people on this forum, many of whom may be new referees looking to senior referees like you for advice on how to referee the games they are appointed to?

Am not getting round it?

As indeed, can you.

It isn't your park. You can't do what you like, nor can any referees.

PS, the first sentence wasn't really a question, the answer is no … :stop:

Granted
An apology for my non trolling and non changing of my answer would be mature though
I hope line is drawn under it,
Question was asked, i answered it, correctly (according to the publication who posed the question)

With regards to marking down for 'game management', I'd argue to be marked up on the basis that the opposition (in their ignorance of Law) could well be doing their nut in the absence of a goal
Pointless arguing about something hypothetical which is so much dependent on actuality. That is why I used the word 'may'.

Pointless arguing about something hypothetical which is so much dependent on actuality. That is why I used the word 'may'.
Yes, I can live with that. Just one of those things you could argue either way
We do like to debate stuff that's never gonna happen :confused:

Reactions: one
Back