A&H

Got any tips?

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
I am looking to begin officiating Open Age football next season. Has anyone got any helpful tips or words of advice before I get started?
Also what is it like to referee adults?

The Referee Store
Then that help you really because all I can say is the adults are gonna give you dissent but if on Sunday morning or afternoon if your able to manage it you should be fine

Then that help you really because all I can say is the adults are gonna give you dissent but if on Sunday morning or afternoon if your able to manage it you should be fine

Where I come from and at comparable levels of football, adults give much less dissent than U19

Yacinho suppose it varies depending on your county as here in Midlands because most players are drunk from night before players moan a lot and it varies on team as well.

Best advise I can give is to start with acting as an assistant. You'll then have the support of the other members of the team. You'll learn from them, then when you do venture out in to the middle on your own, you'll be better prepared. I'd also ask for a mentor to come watch for your first couple of games too

Yea ask your county FA for mentor and also if you already not go to your local ra as well

As someone who 'jumped' (stumbled) into adults just a few days after my 16th i have to say it's so much better than junior games in my opinion. Whilst you do get dissent it can be managed easier and without 25 wannabie parents on the sideline hurling verbal at you it's much easier to cerb and get on with the game. One change you'll notice is the ability to use the captain a lot more because adults realise that they have responsibilities unlike most junior teams that i've seen. Players at open age want to be spoken to, tell them why you've made a decision, lots of shouting. Look and behave like you are confident and they will get the message, and if they don't then there's always other ways to get the message across. Most importantly SMILE:)!

i still mainly do youth football and the occasional open age game, but @Josh has hit a really good point, the lack of parents is ace!

WIth all due respect you dont look like a little spotty teenager, so immediately that will help you in the sense you wont look like a little boy taking charge of adults! They will try and pull the wool over your eyes every chance they get though.

Of course I'm no top ref, but let me know when you have an open age game and I'd be happy to pop along and lend some moral support.

You know the laws.

They kick the ball.

If they do their bit right, your bit is easier.

You do your bit right, their bit is easier.

Don't expect anyone to their bit right, all of the time; no one is perfect.

Sourire.

@Josh nailed it bang on.
No parents :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Useful captains:cool::cool::cool::cool:
Dissent which you can manage:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Prefer it over youth football anyday. Enjoy:)

Hi @Jack M - there are 3 of us on here who are on the Olympian League - including me :)

You'll enjoy the standard on the Olympian and you'll normally get a little crowd (5-20) for each Olympian Prem game you're on the line for (the last game on the Prem actually had around 300 watching it!) … You'll learn quickly from going out as a 3 on the Prem and will generally be well protected by the refs … The Ref Sec will want to use you for middles on the u21 too (these are good to ref on) … another option is to get on the Greene King Vets League - a very good League to start on

Back