A&H

Guess the assessment mark

J-K

Level 5 Referee
On the line in a Supply league game

Offside Judgements

You correctly signalled on 3 occasions for offside: 11th, 72nd and 78th minutes. In all instances the flag was held for the correct amount of time and retained where necessary until picked up by the referee. In addition you were always ready and alert to the potential for offside, remained sensibly positioned and recognised where the offside was of a passive nature and a flag was not required having evaluated all relevant factors.

Support & Assistance to referee

You are clearly an experienced official and understood the level of support required by the referee in this testing match. You maintained eye contact throughout and worked hard to support the referee where required, noting his instructions at the pre-match briefing. You were also quick on your toes when fast breaks occurred sprinting where necessary to get down to the goal-line.

I noted you assisted the referee on 85 minutes where a mass confrontation occurred. You correctly came onto the pitch ensuring you had a good view of the incident along with your colleague and advised the referee on what you had seen. I feel however you could have assisted the referee further in the 45th minute following the holding of (H) 9 by (A) 6 on the half-way line as you had a much better view than the referee.

Signals

Signals were always of an approved nature and were clear and decisive and given confidently. I noted you always giving the referee a glancing look before flagging. Additionally they were held for the appropriate amount of time and so noticed by all in the ground. Correct and decisive throw in or corner signals were made on 18 occasions during the match.

Additional comments (optional)

Following an advantage played by the referee in the 22nd minute I noted you turned and engaged in a short conversation with a spectator. Whilst this was quite amicable I would advise total concentration on the game to ensure you do not miss anything if called upon.

The Referee Store
In the 22nd minute a spectator politely asked about a studs up challenge, the ball was out of play, I glanced over, then while looking back to the FoP (while the ball was still out of play) quickly explained my view.

Given that the discussion with the spectator is only mentioned in the additional comments and not in the three sections, I would assumed it isn't reflective of the mark, or at least, it shouldn't be. As far as I am aware if it is affecting the mark then it should be in one of the three sections. That said, I would agree, don't converse with spectators.

I'd say it reads a pretty standard report and guess around 73-75.

From my (admittedly limited) knowledge of AR marking, that seems harsh to me. I was thinking high 70's
You have to break it down and calculate it. The first and third sections read as standard so they'll be given a mark of 7.5 more than likely. Whilst there is a positive mentioned in the 2nd section, the last line has knocked it down from a 7.5 to a 7.

Now, admittedly I'm not assessor and not qualified to judge it but in my unqualified opinion I'd say on the positive/negative balance the second section could at maximum be a 7.5. The assessor clearly felt that the negative outweighed the positive and reduced that section to a 7, giving it an overall mark of 73.

The first section, 'Offside Judgements' is the heaviest weighted and it reads as standard. If you're wanting high 70's it can't be reading standard as that, and to a lesser extent 'Support & Assistance to the Referee' are where you will gain your marks.

For a mark of 78, the first section would have had to have been marked at 8 and the second at 7.5. There's nothing to justify the 8 in the first section for me. Everything mentioned is what you would expect of an AR. That's not a bad thing, it's just sometimes you need the game to give you the opportunity to showcase yourself.

Obviously that's all in my unqualified opinion. I'm sure if any of that is talking out of my behind then I'll quickly get corrected.

I got a very similar sounding assessment the other week with a 75 ... I too thought you'd have got a higher mark that 73

I wonder what the highest and lowest marks are at various levels. I wonder if for a Supply league game marks range from say 68 to 76, maybe the marks should just be 0 for a 67 equivalent to 10 for a 77, save the pretence that it's a percentage.

I wonder what I could have done better for offside judgements? The report doesn't mention the flags I didn't give with attackers in offside positions not interfering (and there was a possible debatable one) nor does he mention the flag I gave for offside that the ref saw late and wave away (for an advantage that his ref coach says was risky).

I wonder what the highest and lowest marks are at various levels. I wonder if for a Supply league game marks range from say 68 to 76, maybe the marks should just be 0 for a 67 equivalent to 10 for a 77, save the pretence that it's a percentage.

I wonder what I could have done better for offside judgements? The report doesn't mention the flags I didn't give with attackers in offside positions not interfering (and there was a possible debatable one) nor does he mention the flag I gave for offside that the ref saw late and wave away (for an advantage that his ref coach says was risky).

At county level you encounter more poorly written reports that don't reflect the mark. They get better as you go up.

I do not get AR Assessments I had one last season and under the additional comments he wrote, "I have no development points for you other than to keep up the exceptionally high standard of assisting you have already attained" I always remember the line as I was so chuffed with it....Mark......72.

I do not get AR Assessments I had one last season and under the additional comments he wrote, "I have no development points for you other than to keep up the exceptionally high standard of assisting you have already attained" I always remember the line as I was so chuffed with it....Mark......72.

Well I'll be watching your cup final on Friday and you had better do more than a 72 performance for my boy in the middle!!!

Back