A&H

Handball ref x 100

SM

The avuncular one
grrrrr

Game yesterday had a lot of handball claims. Some where, most weren't.

Some examples;

Two opposing players within a yard of each other challenging for a bouncing ball. One player smacks the ball with power and it catches the hands of his opponent straight in front of his body as the ball flew face wards. Hands seemed natural position to me he had no time to move. Nobody gained any advantage from the contact.

Next;

Player has a ball and is about to play the long bomb. Opponent runs in with his hands above his head to charge down the pass. The ball hits the hands of this guy above his head... Would have been a few yards away still at the time of contact.

Apparently this is exactly the same thing.

:devil:

I hate active footballers. They are stupid sometimes.

Question though; would it be better to go continental and have any contact with hands as handball?

The Referee Store
grrrrr

Some examples;

Two opposing players within a yard of each other challenging for a bouncing ball. One player smacks the ball with power and it catches the hands of his opponent straight in front of his body as the ball flew face wards. Hands seemed natural position to me he had no time to move. Nobody gained any advantage from the contact.

Next;

Player has a ball and is about to play the long bomb. Opponent runs in with his hands above his head to charge down the pass. The ball hits the hands of this guy above his head... Would have been a few yards away still at the time of contact.

Question though; would it be better to go continental and have any contact with hands as handball?
This time of year you could be stopping the game every few minutes.

However add " .....& gains an advantage" and I'm with you!

grrrrr

Some examples;

Next;

In the second incident, yes the player may still be near to the one with the ball, but there is no reason for why his hands should be there . So handball and potentially a yellow for USB/tactical foul

Let's face it, handball (or not) is just a good old pain in the a$*e for us referees. There's an expectation in the game that any hand/ball contact should be penalised but at the same time how often do we (correctly) penalise hand ball which is never deliberate in the literal sense of the word.

Back