A&H

hastie whistle

Paul_Jones

Level 7 Referee
Tonight I reffed the final game of my 6 games.... and i made the first big mistake i think i've made.

At 0-0 blue gets fouled on edge of penalty area, clear foul, i blow sharply for a free kick in an excellent position... as i blow ball breaks through to blue forward who buries it....

held my hand up in apology to blue manager who said i could of played advantage as i could. during game inthen decided to take a second or two to see how play progresses after a foul... cue blue manager then saying i wasn't giving decisions as i waited a second to see if any progression! couldnt win!

blue went on to lose 2-1 just to top it off!

The Referee Store
Had something similar in one of my first games. Foul of the edge of the box which I blew straight away for, only for one of the strikers to lash the ball home from 20 or so yards. Weirdly I didnt get many complaints. It did make me realise in those situations just to give myself that extra moment before blowing. Its the sort of thing that'll probably never happen again, or every advantage you give the shot will be shanked out for a throw in!

Yes you made a little mistake, maybe you didn't analyse the situation well at the moment, but you did see the foul in a sensible area and blew for it.
What happened next is just the usual manager taking your only mistake of the game to cover his ass.

If I had an advice to give you, is to not change your way of refereeing during a game, especially after a "mistake" like that. Just stick with the way you did, easier to sold a quick whistle during all the game and for both team than a quick whistle at the beginning, than more time to think etc..
It's exactly like when you let the advantage and you don't come back, maybe you'll hear some coachs/players say "Come back !!" and you're gonna think "mmmh, they're right, I could have come back", but if the next time, with the same time between the foul and the loss of the ball, you come back :
If it's for the same team, everyone is going to think that it's just because they asked for it.
If it's fot the other team, everyone is going to think that you like one team more than the other.
Loss-Loss
Consistency is key

Everybody makes mistakes and trust me yours is far from the worst ever! You are new to refereeing and it can be expected that you make a mistake once in a while whether you it's your first game or you are officiating in the World Cup Final! Sometimes you see a foul so you blow the whistle, it's just a natural reaction! If that's the only mistake you made in your six games then hold your head high for you have started well. You can never ever please everyone even with the perfect game :)

It's probably because your inexperience if you need to give yourself 3 seconds if you need to

Everybody makes mistakes and trust me yours is far from the worst ever! You are new to refereeing and it can be expected that you make a mistake once in a while whether you it's your first game or you are officiating in the World Cup Final! Sometimes you see a foul so you blow the whistle, it's just a natural reaction! If that's the only mistake you made in your six games then hold your head high for you have started well. You can never ever please everyone even with the perfect game :)

Even the best in the world make similar errors - Terje Hauge in the Arsenal vs. Barcelona Champions League Final springs to mind...

It happens, the main thing is that you've recognised it and have already learnt from it.

I got away with a similar one recently, handball in the penalty area which was as clear as day. I think 'Great, penalty, that's an easy call,', so I blow the whistle for a penalty and just as I'm walking to the spot, about to raise my arm, an attacker says 'Ref! Ref! It's gone in!', and I look to see the ball nestling in the bottom corner. My quick reply of 'Yep, well spotted, that's why I've blown the whistle!' with a cheeky wink saved my blushes. Fortunately none of them noticed that I don't blow the whistle for a goal, and hadn't been blowing the whistle at all to signal a goal all game. ;)

Hastie whistle.. Yes? Will it be your last... Probably not... Just finished my first season and the number of "oh I could have done" moments is something you learn from.

For me I am trying to become aware of my surroundings... The experience helps too the more games you do.. You will understand the position on the pitch where there could be advantages played etc.

Keep going. Its great journey to go on and you learn something every game!

It's all about learning.
You have done the right thing. Analysing what went wrong rather than patting yourself on the back.
Even the premier league referees still walk off the FOP at the end of the game with that attitude.

I agree waiting is best, but you WILL get shouts from oppo of "You only gave that because they appealed ref!"

Also at grassroots players will claim there was an advantage when there wasn't - this is usually because they have ignored the fact that everyone else on the pitch stopped on your whistle while they blissfully played on unhindered!

Don't worry pal, it's not a big mistake :)

I had one at an U15 game, the striker got sandwiched by 2 defenders and was tripped, so I waited about 2/3 seconds because he didn't go down and he was just outside the box. Then I didn't think he was going to get through so I blew for it. Sod's law that the ball then pooped past everyone towards the goal and he quickly followed it and slotted it round the keeper. I just apologised a lot and he understood.

On the other hand I was reffing a match between Sheffield United U16's and and Irish touring side and the Irish player was on the run with the ball between his own penalty arc and the edge of the centre circle. He got completely wiped out, everyone stopped but I waited to see what would happen, then one of his team mates picked the ball up and carried on the run so I shouted advantage as loud as I could. In between the foul and the advantage I was getting a lot of shouting from the Irish manager/subs/parents about the foul.

Then the player who got the ball carried it for about 20 yards and he got taken out with an equally bad tackle, very similar to the first one. So again all of the Irish party was screaming at me for the free kick because they thought I'd missed their player doing a triple summers adult into the air. But again I waited and another player got it and moved forward, so again I have a massive advantage call. The player passed it to the striker on the left of the box, he cut back inside and buried it into the top corner of the net. I was chuffed, I got handshakes from the Irish players. At half time the coach came up to me especially to thank me for the advantage. It was an overall great feeling. :)

So trust me, one day you will play one that leads directly to a goal and it will be a great feeling.

If that is the worst mistake you ever make whilst refereeing, you will be a happy man at the end of your career. :)

You held your hands up, you know what you did and what you could have done better. Chalk it up to experinece, move on.

I too had similar in a tournament 7-a-side, red forward shoots at goal from just inside box,defender palms the ball away(blatant penalty) but only succeeds in deflecting it into the goal.I blow the whistle and shout "That's a goal" Had a little word with the defender about the handball though......

thanks for all the feedback lads. funny thing is this morning i reffed a trialist match for st helens town. foul about 30 yards out, player screaming "ref thats a foul" ball ends up at feet of attacker so i shout advantage he then crosses and the forward heads in. im sure it wont be the last mistake and im pretty certain it wont be the biggest! but when i recognise them i'll be on here asking for advice!!

why are they complaining? they got a penalty didn't they?

unless there is an OBVIOUS chance to play advantage from a possible penalty then I blow for the pen every time

@Charlie Jones they complain because they are players, it's what they do. Its always the same if a player is on the half way line and you give a free kick they'll moan you should have played advantage as they clearly would have turned into Messi and beaten five players before blasting it into the top corner!

Lol as long as the fee is still forthcoming...

Maybe if there was an EU surplus of referees this might one day be a reality...

Back