A&H

Open Age "He made a meal of it ref, you should disregard the foul!"

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
Had that in my first adult middle today. Red player caught the blue attacker who goes down easily.

I gave the pen and they claimed that I should ignore the blatant foul because he went down easy.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Lol :D

Pretty much covers that one.

I had a similar one. "He was looking for that ref!"

He was, and you certainly gave it to him. :)

Last edited:
Hard to say if your not there. If you're confident then give it, then if its soft and he goes down easy he's forcing you to make a decision. Do you A) Give a penalty? B) Play on? or C) Caution for simulation.

If it's soft I will go for B. Unless he's done a swan dive or gone down asking then it's looking like C.

I don't like to give a soft penalty. Haven't gave one this season come to think of it.

If it a foul its a foul, if its in the penalty area then its a penalty, regardless of how he goes down, maybe have a quiet word later but a fouls a foul. Just like when the biggest guy on the pitch gets fouled and you get that shout of how was that a foul? Look at the size of him, yes sorry I missed the page in LOTG that states that a players size should betaken into consideration when determining whether or not a foul has taken place.

I usually just tell the player who made the most of it to get up and stop making a meal of it quite loudly. Usually it involves "You got fouled, I saw it, you don't need to make such a show of it." That way everyone knows I wasn't fooled by his theatrics.

I usually just tell the player who made the most of it to get up and stop making a meal of it quite loudly. Usually it involves "You got fouled, I saw it, you don't need to make such a show of it." That way everyone knows I wasn't fooled by his theatrics.

I completely agree. But inside the box and around it where a team can get a goal scoring opportunity I personally only want to give stone wall penalties. Nothing soft that could be a talking point after if the team scored to make you remembered.

Had one like this this weekend, player plays the ball, smallest of contact on his leg, carries on, realises he's over ran it so stumbles over. No pen, get on with it

Sometimes though, you know the attacker is waiting for a contact, defender comes in with a dumb challenge and gives you no choice. :)

Soft? Maybe. Dumb and a penalty? Yip.

Maybe the attacker has played for it, too obvious not to give.

There was a whisker of contact, never enough for a foul, attacker realised he over ran the ball 2 steps after the contact and then fell over. Never a penalty haha

There was a whisker of contact, never enough for a foul, attacker realised he over ran the ball 2 steps after the contact and then fell over. Never a penalty haha
Contact is Contact ....trips or attempts to trip !!! Foul ..Penalty ....we must not bottle these calls !

it wasnt an attempt to trip though, it was contact through a previous tackle that was made but the pitch conditions meant he went further than normal, he tried to stop but couldnt, wasnt an attempt to trip nor was it a trip

Contact is Contact ....trips or attempts to trip !!! Foul ..Penalty ....we must not bottle these calls !

Contact doesn't mean foul.

Bottle? Sometimes the stronger referee doesn't give a penalty or foul when people are shouting for it, thats not bottling something. That's strong refereeing and going by your convictions.

If it's a foul, then it's a foul. If it isn't, then it isn't. But it does not change based on pitch location -- if it's in the PA or in midfield in a nothing area, you either give it or don't. If it's soft, maybe you're giving away too many softies in midfield too but players don't moan too much about it because it's in a nothing area of the pitch.

Agreed Ryan, I did a medics derby game at my uni last year, 1st vs 2nd, title decider, 45 seconds in, push in the back from the throw in, stone wall foul on half way and since its in the area, penalty! the defending team went mental, 'thats so soft ref, youve ruined the game already! its not a penalty that' Cue me: ok lads leave it, give the questions to your captain and ill answer him and him only. Asked is a push in the back a foul on the half way line 'yeah', ok so its a foul agreed? 'yeah' so a foul in the box is a penalty, correct? 'yeah but its different, it needs to be more of a solid foul than that'. *sigh* some people just dont get it haha

I read somewhere I used this when I had someone say that's a soft penalty... Penalties are like boiled eggs , hard or soft they are still boiled eggs... Shut them right up.

Back