A&H

"He was going away from goal ref"

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Had a very odd incident yesterday.

Yellow v. Green. Green striker runs into the box and tries to shoot but is forced wide by the defender, who proceeds to go straight through the back of the striker. Stone wall penalty, comfortably inside the box. I blew up straight away and gave the penalty.

Yellow defenders were furious, one of whom said "you can't give a penalty for that ref, he was going away from goal"! The look I gave him must have been enough, but I said that it didn't matter and that it was a foul. "It doesn't matter that it was a foul, he was going away from goal" came the reply! :confused: A stern talking to, along the lines of one more word and you'll be booked, shut him up.

Perhaps this should be added to the millions of threads about players who don't know the rules! :rolleyes:

The Referee Store
The level of players ignorance to the lotg is staggering sometimes.

I once had a guy who said if the foul is bad enough then it's a penalty regardless of where on the pitch it is!

That's a new one on me, but another example of why our job is made so difficult when players have so little concept of the laws that govern the sport they love. I had a manager going crazy because one of the opposition were apparently offside despite being four yards in his own half.

I had a manager (yesterday) SUPPORT one of my decisions. His GK took a player out on edge of box, but 100% inside, and going away from goal. I decide not a DOGSO, borderline YC, but decide to mange it and it worked. All players up in arms complaining it was outside. I heard at FT, the players moaning to the manager about it being outside to which he said "look guys it was inside the box, even I could see that". Queue a sudden silence.

Thanks manager!

I think all players should be issued with a LOTG (not that they would read it). Last game of the season last season goalkeeper handles the ball just out of the area by the goal line, i caution the goal keeper only to be surrounded by the whole of the other team who proceed to tell me that deliberate handball is a red card if its a keeper and he must be sent off.

Reactions: SM
Had a very odd incident yesterday.

Yellow v. Green. Green striker runs into the box and tries to shoot but is forced wide by the defender, who proceeds to go straight through the back of the striker. Stone wall penalty, comfortably inside the box. I blew up straight away and gave the penalty.

Yellow defenders were furious, one of whom said "you can't give a penalty for that ref, he was going away from goal"! The look I gave him must have been enough, but I said that it didn't matter and that it was a foul. "It doesn't matter that it was a foul, he was going away from goal" came the reply! :confused: A stern talking to, along the lines of one more word and you'll be booked, shut him up.

Perhaps this should be added to the millions of threads about players who don't know the rules! :rolleyes:

Why would you book for that? Why not just say "It's still a foul inside the penalty area and so it's still a penalty kick. However, had he been going towards goal, you may have been sent off for DOGSO -- maybe that's what you're thinking of."

Why would you book for that? Why not just say "It's still a foul inside the penalty area and so it's still a penalty kick. However, had he been going towards goal, you may have been sent off for DOGSO -- maybe that's what you're thinking of."

He complained, so I reiterated the reason for the decision. Once he continued to argue, it became borderline dissent, hence the warning. I wish I'd have thought to explain it how you suggest at the time, that would've worked much better.

Live and learn, but as I recently said elsewhere, I think that we can sometimes have a tendency to see any complaint as dissent and that's just not useful.

Live and learn, but as I recently said elsewhere, I think that we can sometimes have a tendency to see any complaint as dissent and that's just not useful.

That said we have made a decision we believe is right, someone is arguing rather aggressively you are totally wrong. Sometimes I think it is difficult to detach yourself from the emotional side of the situation where someone is essentially saying you are wrong. Personally I try to diffuse any unhappy player as quick as possible and explain the decision. But often try and move on straight away as some players will just keep going on and on so I try and keep it short, sharp and to the point. If they want to carry on and carry it starts becoming dissent. All in my opinion of course.

Mandatory cautions for dissent are also 'part of our job'

'A player who is guilty of dissent by protesting verbally...against a referee's decision' must be cautioned'

How far each referee is prepared to ignore the lotg before finally applying it is, surely, a very personal choice

"You're a disgrace ref"...in my first ever game.

Dissent or OFFINABUS? Bear in mind this is a keeper who's just conceded his 8th goal after saying the player was offside and stopping play, despite the CAR saying he was on by a yard or so.

It's a tricky decision isn't it?

Dissent or OFFINABUS? Bear in mind this is a keeper who's just conceded his 8th goal after saying the player was offside and stopping play, despite the CAR saying he was on by a yard or so.

Dissent

Dissent. No way I would even consider sending a player off for that...

Dissent. No way I would even consider sending a player off for that...

Right...and that's what I did. Being called a disgrace is pretty much a textbook dissent, in my eyes at least.

Let's go the other way then, what would we all view as being part of the game?

How much low level backchat does everyone accept? As @Ryan Owens says "we have a tendency to take every complaint as dissent".

No-ones going to go extreme and send off my "I used to referee and you're a disgrace" keeper but how many would brush off the more minor stuff?

The thing with cautions for dissent is as Ryan and other have said, knowing what is frustration and what is genuine dissent and likely to start to erode match control. Once you caution for dissent, that is the bar set from then on and if you don't follow through with every bit of similar level dissent from then onwards you are asking for problems. That's not to say you don't caution for clear dissent if it happens early in the game; sometimes It can help to have a nice 100% clear dissent early to show exactly where your tolerances are in more fiery matches. But you have to aim for consistency.

As for the ex-referee your a disgrace comment, he knows exactly what is coming next. A lemon and a warning to button it plus a witty quip if you can think of one.

Back