A&H

Hi I'm new and need advice

The Referee Store
I'M A RAMPANT SPAMMER!

~Public word! Posting emoticons is spam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started back in AUG and regret not doing it sooner
my advice to you would be

• get the full kit and equipment - look the part and you will be respected more - have 2 -3 different colours jerseys
  • turn up to the ground an hour before the game - gives to time to do pitch inspection and speak to both team
  • be confident in every decision even if your wrong- make the decision stick with it, don't show any weakness
  • must be fit to keep up with play, being in the correct position makes your game much easier and allows you to sell fouls etc easier
  • run your diagonal - works a treat
  • don't try and be the hero - don't get involved in things you don't need to
  • after every game note down what you did well and what you need to work on - before the next game read of your previous game comments
  • remember to bring a coin to the toss - something I always forget
  • get the respect and authority from players early on - get the captains names and use them throughout the game
  • read the LOTG
  • go to local games and watch the referee - positioning - game control and how he speaks to players
hope this helps

great advice. If you are going to do a youth game @Danwilliams26 you only need to get there 1/2 an hour before. I do mainly youth games and there is no pint getting there any earlier unless you want to get cold wet and bored beefore a game!!!

Watch and learn from other local refs. Do run the line as much as you can as well because you will learn loads (should that be heaps!) from working with other referees, especially in preparation. It'll do wonders for your confidence.

You'll get out of it as much as you put in Dan. I've just finished delivering the 50th practical course run by my County and it was the toughest yet simply because of the high proportion of candidates who weren't fully engaged. So do me a favour when you get to your course, please listen to your tutors as they really do know their stuff and want you to succeed as a referee.

When I was doing my course, I was appalled by some of the (without exception teenage) candidates who were not listening, messing about and just seemed to be there to ask the tutors what they'd do in the most ridiculous and moronic scenarios they could think of. Some of them obviously thought it an extension of school - try and get laughs by acting like an idiot.

Doesn't bode well for the games that these refs are handling if that's their attitude at the get-go!

I've just finished a course where it was much the same, again the theme being the younger lads who've had it paid for. Understandable in some respects given their age but also frustrating for the others. Suppose the fact you could join a refereeing association pretty much immediately does help though - though I didn't do that (And haven't yet - is it worth it anyone? Sounds good in fairness).

Personally I think the best advice on this topic is to understand the laws, not learn them. I passed my exam yesterday with 37/42, but even during the exam I could overhear the tutors discussing situations etc and testing each other with their own scenarios. It seems very much a situation of constantly learning, rather than needing to know it all before you even step foot in the room or on the park. As long as you have the basics, you'll be fine.

I'd personally see it as daunting had I received the advice 'read the Laws of the Game'. I wouldn't take it as literally as that - reading it can certainly do yourself no harm but it isn't critical to read it word for word before you've even started the course. The key is to make sure you enjoy it - it obviously depends on personality but if I'd have obsessed over the LOTG I'd have been bricking it prior to my first game and probably the course too, where the key should surely be enjoying it?

You'll get out of it as much as you put in Dan. I've just finished delivering the 50th practical course run by my County and it was the toughest yet simply because of the high proportion of candidates who weren't fully engaged. So do me a favour when you get to your course, please listen to your tutors as they really do know their stuff and want you to succeed as a referee.

Must say I found this on my course - and it was a huge distraction to the handful of us that were keen, eager and looking to take in every word.

Its was disappointing that a lot of them were just wanting to play football during the outside bits and weren't interested in anything else.

That was to my advantage though - I got a lot more time with the whistle during the practical bits and learnt an awful lot very quickly to get me started, versus those who messed around and would have had to learn the hard way, if at all.

I started back in AUG and regret not doing it sooner
my advice to you would be

• get the full kit and equipment - look the part and you will be respected more - have 2 -3 different colours jerseys
  • turn up to the ground an hour before the game - gives to time to do pitch inspection and speak to both team
  • be confident in every decision even if your wrong- make the decision stick with it, don't show any weakness
  • must be fit to keep up with play, being in the correct position makes your game much easier and allows you to sell fouls etc easier
  • run your diagonal - works a treat
  • don't try and be the hero - don't get involved in things you don't need to
  • after every game note down what you did well and what you need to work on - before the next game read of your previous game comments
  • remember to bring a coin to the toss - something I always forget
  • get the respect and authority from players early on - get the captains names and use them throughout the game
  • read the LOTG
  • go to local games and watch the referee - positioning - game control and how he speaks to players
hope this helps

Crikey man he's not even done a match yet and you're throwing all that at him (Points 1-3 are pretty questionable as well).
Ever heard the phrase "all the kit and no clue"?
I think a new referee should spend as little time (IF ANY) talking to the teams!
A bit of humility is sometimes needed.
Attempt to earn the respect of players early on? How about just ref the game as best you can. Respect is the buzzword of the day. The best refereeing performances I've ever put it have probably had half the players thinking what an absolute t*sser I was. Earning player's respect is bottom of my objectives for the day.

Crikey man he's not even done a match yet and you're throwing all that at him (Points 1-3 are pretty questionable as well).
Ever heard the phrase "all the kit and no clue"?
I think a new referee should spend as little time (IF ANY) talking to the teams!
A bit of humility is sometimes needed.
Attempt to earn the respect of players early on? How about just ref the game as best you can. Respect is the buzzword of the day. The best refereeing performances I've ever put it have probably had half the players thinking what an absolute t*sser I was. Earning player's respect is bottom of my objectives for the day.

+1

I found it great fun. Did the course as often when I ran my sunday team. Be no refs or ref would not turn up and thought it be handy to know the laws fully and give me credibility. Now ref more than i play. I really looked forward to Tuesday night and felt a wee bit down when it was all over.

also get involved in local refs society if you can.

Back